New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Joke was on HIM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
About 20 years ago I was remodeling a kitchen that had the old lead drain pipe to the sink. Room was gutted. To make it easier to get the lead out of the wall I hammered it back into the wall so I could just pull it out from below.
As I was going to replace it with a drop down thru the bottom with PVC.

Shortly after, a newly "edditcated" SIL came down to install the cabinets. He;d just taken a months classes on how to install kitchen cabinets. I was ordered to get out of there. WTF I left.

Late the second day my wife told me: "Mike's really pissed at you hammering that lead pipe back into the wall, he spent most of two days getting it back in shape to use again.

After about an hour of laughing til I pissed my panties. I said: "That's what happens when the newbies run the engineer of the job off before he finds out the plans.

Soon as they left I went over and ripped the lead pipe out and brought it in to show them how i'd mashed the whole thing. They all about shit.

I repeated: "you don't run the engineer of a project off until you find out the plans first."

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6019 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo yuck

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yep,I only do shop work these days but before, I worked anything in the HVAC field on site. Yes I have had A LOT of experiences dealing with engineers.As a matter of fact we used to have the saying that "144 engineers = gross ignorance."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I welded pipeline for Southern Union Gas.They had a good policy IMO that when they got the new engineers fresh out of college that they worked one week as a helper in the field before going into the office so that they might have an idea of what the field guys were doing.We had this kid that assigned to old Dee Adney (broke nose,crew cut,khaki wearing plumber/pipefitter that had a vocabulary that would make a sailor blush,you get the picture).He's down in the hole (it's hotter than hell) + he calls out the measurements to the helper to cut the pipe;13'6".The pipe comes in 21'sticks.The kid comes back with a piece of pipe about 6'long.Old Dee (it was hot in the hole) told him,that is NOT 13'6",the kid says,yes it is.tHis goes on a couple of times before Dee is ready to climb out of the hole + whip his ass. He calms himself down + says,I know what happened,you cut the pipe but then picked up the other section;so just please just bring me the other section of pipe.The kid puffs all indignant + waving a collapsable 6' rule,which everybody in the industry will know what I'm talking about.The little shit holds it up + says "Well this a yardstick isn't it?! The same little educated idiot we had cutting pipe on another occasion in the truck vise with a hacksaw. He was going 90 to nothing + using about 2" of the blade. I told him,Hell use the whole blade. He just said "I will".You can't make this stuff up.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Many years ago I welded pipeline for Southern Union Gas.They had a good policy IMO that when they got the new engineers fresh out of college that they worked one week as a helper in the field before going into the office so that they might have an idea of what the field guys were doing.We had this kid that assigned to old Dee Adney (broke nose,crew cut,khaki wearing plumber/pipefitter that had a vocabulary that would make a sailor blush,you get the picture).He's down in the hole (it's hotter than hell) + he calls out the measurements to the helper to cut the pipe;13'6".The pipe comes in 21'sticks.The kid comes back with a piece of pipe about 6'long.Old Dee (it was hot in the hole) told him,that is NOT 13'6",the kid says,yes it is.tHis goes on a couple of times before Dee is ready to climb out of the hole + whip his ass. He calms himself down + says,I know what happened,you cut the pipe but then picked up the other section;so just please just bring me the other section of pipe.The kid puffs all indignant + waving a collapsable 6' rule,which everybody in the industry will know what I'm talking about.The little shit holds it up + says "Well this a yardstick isn't it?! The same little educated idiot we had cutting pipe on another occasion in the truck vise with a hacksaw. He was going 90 to nothing + using about 2" of the blade. I told him,Hell use the whole blade. He just said "I will".You can't make this stuff up.

I always figured an engineer should spend at least a year in the field. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
That is what happens when the schooling teaches one to calculate to 5 decimal places in a nearest 1/8' situation.

Educated within their level of intelligence, but beyond their ability to perform the job.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is so true.The whole education system has gone down in flames.I had a history major but ran out of money before graduation.No worries,that is my interest so I keep it up. I had a minor in geometry;+ that is what I use in my business.I have a sheet metal shop + I can tell you that NONE of these kids coming out of school have any concept of geometric solutions. I mention this because a few years past,I was speaking to an allumni that was teaching History in school + I was having a hard time collecting on jobs + thought that taking the history teaching job might be the ticket. He said,Good luck.Thats the one we all want.End of story;when still working,the teachers were making less than 50% of my regular pay grade.