New
Find
Notify
Tools

the priest
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
An Irish priest was transferred to Texas.

Father O'Dugan rose from his bed one morning. It was a fine spring day in his new west Texas mission parish. He walked to the window of his bedroom to get a deep breath of the beautiful day outside.
He then noticed there was a donkey lying dead in the middle of his front lawn. He promptly called the local police station.

The conversation went like this: "Good morning. This is Sergeant McCown. How might I help you?"

"And the best of the day te yerself. This is Father O'Dugan at St. Ann's Catholic Church. There's a donkey lying dead in me front lawn and would ye be so kind as to send a couple o'yer lads to take care of the matter?"

Sergeant McCown, considering himself to be quite a wit and recognizing the foreign accent, thought he would have a little fun with the good father, replied, "Well now Father, it was always my impression that you people took care of the last rites!"

There was dead silence on the line for a moment...

Father O'Dugan then replied: "Aye, 'tis certainly true; but we are also obliged to notify the next of kin first, which is the reason for me call."

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Two youngsters in Ethiopia decided to poke fun of an elderly woman taking her goods to market by donkey. Politely, they greeted her with, "Good day, Mother of Donkeys!" To which she simply replied, "Good morning, my children!"

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Moremonte
posted Hide Post
rotflmo jumping tu2

Posts: 2038 | Location: Grove,OK. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My ex went to 12 years of Catholic school before college;thus when the 'Jehovah's Witnesses' would show up at the door she always welcomed them in + then after serving tea got into theological discussion that generally blew their boats out of the water.I never set in on any of these visits so I have to take her word.I was an Eagle Scout + was awarded the "God + Country" Award.Took a year of a young man's time to earn that decoration.Off the subject but what the hell?!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Off the subject but what the hell?!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
'Jehovah's Witnesses'

YUP! My standard line was "I am a blood donor and a Roman Catholic" whereupon they would generally spit on the ground and walk off! Some people just cannot be saved!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
quote:
'Jehovah's Witnesses'

YUP! My standard line was "I am a blood donor and a Roman Catholic" whereupon they would generally spit on the ground and walk off! Some people just cannot be saved!
Peter.

Or ask them how many times their leaders have prophesied the end of times, think they're up to 6 or 7 and still waiting. Smiler

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then there was the day during turkey season. I walked out of the woods and around the corner of the house to find a Jehovah caller knocking at my door. He had his back to me when I said " Hi! can I help you", I didn't happen to think that I was in full camo and with a shotgun slung on my back when I said it.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
After Paddy’s wake Father O’Dugan asked the weeping widow what Paddy’s last words were. Mary, a devout catholic who would never lie to a priest responded. “Ah father he was very distressed, he looked me in the eyes and said, Mary would ya please put down the Fukin gun!”

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived in a boarding house during college owned by this little old lady Mrs. Williams. A big old Victorian house.Most of her rooms were rented by us students that were all friends.However she rented a room to some disciple mormon youths,on their bicycles w/their white shirts + ties + "that haircut".One day out back she asked one of the above to give her a hand to catch a chicken that she was going to butcher for supper.The kid turned pale + said he did'nt know how.I can still see her with hands on hips + a look of disdain in her eyes.I went + helped her grab the chicken.The mormons moved out soon thereafter.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm. Mormons are vegetarians? Interesting question! Do Mormons hunt? They don't seem to object to killing people (September 11, 1857).
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Hmm. Mormons are vegetarians? Interesting question! Do Mormons hunt? They don't seem to object to killing people (September 11, 1857).
Peter.

Ahhhhh... The "Mormon Bash". It comes up on occasion...

But, to answer your question(s):

Some yes, and some no. It depends on what one wants to do. I am not as I would starve to death.
Yes, I hunt quite often and have been to Africa a few times.
And yes, I do object to killing. I am sure most other religions do as well.

Have a wonderful day!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right. We can't 'blanket policy' any group. I personally have great respect for their beliefs on keeping a years supply of food. Most of us don't do that.My poke was not to the religion,only those kids.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No prob.
Yeah, I’m hoping to have a years supply of meat this fall!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good hunting!