Find
Notify
Tools

Math Class - USA
 Login/Join

posted
Thought you might like this...

Math 1950-2006

Last week I purchased a burger at Burger King for $1.58. The counter girl took my $2 and I was digging for my change when I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies, while looking at the screen on her register. I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this? Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s:

1. Teaching Math In 1950: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

2. Teaching Math In 1960: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

3. Teaching Math In 1970: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

4. Teaching Math In 1980: A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

5. Teaching Math In 1990: A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and
inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

6. Teaching Math In 2006: Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100. El costo de la producciones es $80.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is too much truth in that story!!!! jumping

Posts: 74 | Location: East Kentucky | Registered: 22 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad, but TRUE. Also, funny as hell.

I when a fast food joint a few years ago to pick up a bunch of burgers for my crew. Just so happens that the power went out just as I got there. Being the smart guy that I am, I looked in the rack
they put the precooked bugers in and ordered only what I saw. The girl bagged them all up and just stood there. I asked her "how much" she looked at me like I was fuckin stupit. "The power is out " she said. Being the nice polite guy that I am, I said "No Shit, Dark in here, how much". She said "How would I know, there are NO prices on the cash register." I said turn around and look, count how many of each item I have and do the math". She gave me the Valley Girl look and said " ya right".
After about 10 minutes the manager walked out and handed pad and paper to all the smart little helpers and told them to start filling orders. Not one, I mean Not one new how to add product and tax and get the orders filled.

Next time you are at a convenience store watch how they make change. No shit, some of the newer registers have a picture on the screen of the cash drawer. It tells them how many of each coin in each compartment to give for change. They don't even have to know how much each coin is worth!

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
And the school Admenistrators want more money and more computors to "Fix" the lack of education the kids are getting. What they need to do is not let them even see a 'putor or a calculator till they are in high school. Make them use a #2 pencil, Big Cheif Tablet, and the HEADS.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, there goes another rib!

animal

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
This whole thread is scarry true... Try making the mistake of giving one of these brilliant people behind the counter 10 dollars and 8 cents for something that costs 7.08 and see the deer in the headlights look... Eeker

To funny but true...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is only true of 80-85% the general school age population.The other 15-20% is Asian.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Too close to home.

My brother just gave up a good career as a computer admin to go teach middle school math. Idealistic fool.

They are REQUIRED to pass EVERY student. Period. Every student MUST pass. Right now he is at 60% or so...and is trying to buck the system. Yeah right...

Fear of failure is quite good at motivating...lose it and you lose many (maybe most) of your students. Ugh...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote