New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Why do the British drink their beer warm?

Because George Lucas also made refrigerators...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of you have me at a loss.

Posts: 1077 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Ole Miss:

Back in the day, Joseph Lucas started an electrical component company in Great Britain, and it became a very big company, I guess like our GE.

Most of the English cars and motorcycles etc. had Lucas electronics. The electrical systems were notoriously unreliable so Lucas was known as 'The Prince of Darkness'.

So, if you have ever pushed your Norton, Triumph, or BSA motorcycle a few miles because your zener diode or your coil or magneto or whatever went out, then you get the joke.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
an old joke I became familiar with (when I rode a '76 Trident) was that guys riding Brit bikes had to file a travel plan with AAA if going more than 100 miles from home, so they would know where to start looking for you.
rotflmo

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
vashper, step in and translate for us.

Posts: 13861 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Jaguar XK-150S that I bought off of a Lt who shipping to the Far East and I loved that car - Crimsom Red with a tan leather interior and real wire wheels.

I was a 21 year old Staff Sgt who was flush with cash after 4 straight weeks of a high stakes poker game at NCO and spent all of my winnings + a little to buy it over the strong advice no to from my CG who wanted it but couldn't afford it.

I already had a fairly social life gut the once I bought it ran off the charts but the real story how I met my future wife because of the Jag's Lucas electical system.

I was dating a Major's red-headed daughter and we were back from a Country Western Bar on the skirts of San Antonio well past she was supposed to be home and she suggested we might save some time using a short-cut she knew about and I liked driving on twisy roads.

Everything was great until I hit a small pot-hole doing about 70 -did I mention it was mooonless night with a slight overcast - so the only light was from my headlights - back to the pot hole.

The shock from hitting the pothole broke the circuit and we were immersed in darkness - in a curve on a road I'd never been on before driving well over the speed limit. If God ever took 2 people into the palm of his it was us.

The bad news was she said she we were thru but the good news she introduced my future wife who thought it was really cool how hitting a bump could put the headlights off line. VIVA LUCAS

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joseph Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit!

Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't the British make computers?
The can't figure out how to make it leak oil.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great responses...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Land Rovers so the prince of darkness is a well known guy!

Very often I find myself driving the Honda. Mostly to pick-up parts for the LRs rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Why do the British drink their beer warm?

Because George Lucas also made refrigerators...

Movies don't keep him occupied full time ? Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote