Notify
Tools

I would do anything.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted
I'd Do Anything.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd Do Anything!

A student comes to a young professor's office hours. She glances down the hall, closes his door, kneels pleadingly.

"I would do anything to pass this exam."

She leans closer to him, flips back her hair, gazes meaningfully into his eyes.

"I mean..." she whispers, "...I would do... **anything**!!!"

He returns her gaze. "Anything???"

"Yes,... Anything!!!"

His voice turns to a whisper. "Would you... study???"

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2686 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The following is true....
In the early 70s, I taught at a large eastern university. During the first lecture I gave to a new class in biology, I noticed an extremely attractive female in the front row, who steadily gazed at me, while taking no notes. After the lecture, she came to the front and asked if the 2 of us could talk privately. In my office, she said that she would be mine for the semester, in exchange for a grade of "B". I told her I would give her my answer when we met for the next lecture. Then, I went to the registrar's office and asked to see her grades. In her short list of courses completed, she had only Bs and Fs. ...kindof informative, eh???

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
So, did she get a B or an F. Smiler

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
This is also true...

In the 1960s I was a teaching assistant in the graduate school of a large and nationally known university.

One of my assignments was grading final exams (essays) in a particular course. During the grading, I was similarly propositioned by a very physically attractive female student. I turned her down flat, as her essay was one of the most ignorant in that field which I ever had the misfortune to read...pure gibberish. I gave her an "F".

Months later, when I had accepted a PhD fellowship to another well known university and was there studying, I was advised by the professor for whom I had done the grading, that the young woman had filed a complaint, saying that I had propositioned HER and then gave her an "F" when she turned me down!

He suggested I might want to raise her grade. I wrote a rebuttal to her claim and refused.

But, rather than risk some sort of legal claim by her, the professor raised her grade to a "C".

That is the way life is in the big univeristies, and I suppose everywhere else. Lazy people sometimes get degrees (or other things) simply by manipulating the system instead of studying or working for them.

As for me, the next time I was offered a teaching assistantship to help finance my education I simply said "No Thanks" and took a position as a research assistant instead. The pay was the same, but the work environment much more pleasant.

Life in the big city...wowee. thumbdown

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interns and grad students are the last legal forms of slavery there is.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remshooter:
Interns and grad students are the last legal forms of slavery there is.

Actually, my experiences as a graduate student were all positive. I was not overworked. I was paid reasonably. My professors were almost without exception fine and supportive human beings. Those who were jerks rarely escaped the notice of their colleagues.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what do guys have to do to get good grades, study?
I recall very few female profs in college. Maybe that is way it was so hard?
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
So what do guys have to do to get good grades, study?
I recall very few female profs in college. Maybe that is way it was so hard?
C.G.B.

I intentionally did not enroll in classes which had female professors. I worked hard enough in school that I didn't want to risk my grades to someone who had no real world life experiences as a worker in my field(s). That was the case in those days because women found it much harder than men to get professional jobs back then. So they had mainly academic or theoretical experience rather than real work experience.

Must have worked...I ended up getting a fellowship for my PhD studies which paid me $12,000 per academic year plus tuition, room & board, and books!

That was in the days when a graduate Iron Ring (Engineer) with three years work experience with a typical company made $1,000 per month working full time...that is $12,000 in 12 months, which is what I got for 9 months of studying and writing some classified assessments for the federal government.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two experiences come to mind immediately when I started college.

1. we were in freshman English and the professor gave us a writing assignment over the weekend. Book report. One of the young ladies asked how long the report should be. She was one of those fashionably slim girls with a very short skirt. He told her it should be like her skirt; "long enough to cover the subject, and short enough to be interesting..."

2. the second was in freshman Biology. We were talking about the human reproductive system. Big auditorium, about 240 students. He asks this real hottie to draw the male reproductive system, and she comes down the aisle, up on the stage, to a big chalkboard. She grabs a piece of chalk, and starts drawing the most enormous, incredibly detailed erection. I mean veins on the underside, etc. The girls are all blushing, guys are hooting it up, total loss of control. When she finishes, she turns around and says, here you are. He looks at her (I swear this is true), and says, "Very nice Cynthia, but can you draw it the other way?" She looks at him, and says "What other way...?"

Quite a year away from home from a farm kid from Southern Illinois...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote