Find
Notify
Tools

World's Largest Snake Captured In Indonesia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Indonesian villagers have captured a python that is 49.21 feet long and weighs nearly 1,000 pounds, a local official said Monday. If confirmed, it would be the largest snake ever kept in captivity.

Hundreds of people have flocked to see the snake at a primitive zoo in Curugsewu village on the country's main island of Java, Republika daily reported.

Local government official Rachmat said the reticulated python measured 14.85 meters (49 feet) and weighed in at 447 kilograms (985 pounds).

The Guinness Book of World Records lists the longest ever captured snake to be 9.75 meters (32 feet). The heaviest--a Burmese Python kept in Gurnee, Illinois--weighs 182.76 kilograms (403 pounds), the book said on its Web site.

Rebublika said the snake, which was caught last year but only recently put on public display, eats three or four dogs a month.

Reticulated pythons are the world's longest snakes. They are capable of eating animals as large as sheep, and have been known to attack and consume humans.

The species is native to the swamps and jungles of Southeast Asia.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
You really should post a link to the story such as this one from WFTV. This is really neat that they found the snake. However, it is sadly inevitable that they captured it.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should feed it cats instead. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Saw the article in this morning's paper. The combination of Exhibitors and the "AP" makes for shoddy facts. Doubt it's much over 30', myself, as even that would be a major find. That said, it would indeed be a revelation, should this prove to be true and I can't help hoping it is!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Hopefully they'll get the poor animal a better cage.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

. . . . Doubt it's much over 30', myself, as even that would be a major find. That said, it would indeed be a revelation, should this prove to be true and I can't help hoping it is!

I'd agree. It seems that almost all of the big snakes, gators and crocs are overestimated by 30%. I await verification.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So it eats dogs. Do the dogs get put into the cage alive, and have to wait there, shaking like they were shittin' razor blades, for the snake to come over and do them in? Are dogs afraid of snakes; do they know what one is and what's going to shortly befall them? Do the people stand around and watch the dogs go to their fate? So when is PETA going to show up and start complaining?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote