THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM NATURAL WORLD FORUM

Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stopping shot suggestions on this...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted
Blah, it's hard to find any good images on the internet. I was hoping there'd be a Gregory Paul skeletal drawing somewhere...

Probably a kneeling shot to the chin or muzzle??? The lower part of the body isn't armored with those bony scutes, so a heart shot would work also, maybe as it is turning around to bash you with its tail...

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T Rex gets a fair bit of coverage with hypotheticals.

Now for the Ankylosaurus

Thick skull, little walnut brain in there somehere.
Bony plates fused to the skin over most of the body.

http://www.worldzone.net/science/dinoplanet/Ankylosaurus.html

Where would you shoot this thing?
And remember it weighs around 12,000lbs

Karl.

Posts: 3532 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This is what the 50 BMG is for.

one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Looks like the only soft spot is up the arse. Being 12,000lb it probably had the turning circle of a road train.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dinos are CNS hits, pretty much only, and, the brain is tiny. Theory is they have two, one in the head, and one over the back legs, to work the hind parts.

Stay out of their way...

gs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't see anything blocking a simple broadside behind the shoulder shot. I know it's simple and boring, but would probably get the job done. The gun would have to be Saeed's concocsion (sp) the .577 T-rex.

7mm. guy

shoot straight or shoot often.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karl:
T Rex gets a fair bit of coverage with hypotheticals. Now for the Ankylosaurus. Thick skull, little walnut brain in there somehere.Bony plates fused to the skin over most of the body. Where would you shoot this thing? And remember it weighs around 12,000lbs Karl.

Why, in the Ankyl, of course. Then it couldn't run after you and mash you back into single cells.

Truthfully, I think an achoring hip shot to immobilize and then one in the (each?) brain.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
From that angle I'd aim where the neck joins the skull.

The original premise is about stopping a charge though, and I think (never having seen a live one up close) that an immobilizing shot to a shoulder would be first thing in order.

Regarding a T Rex, I've never decided whether a shotgun with buckshot to the face (since the eyes are close together unless you are looking at an open mouth but the bone structure is so much lighter than say, an elephant) or an immobilizing shot to a hip joint with a 416.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
so a heart shot would work also, maybe as it is turning around to bash you with its tail...

Then that would be a "Texas" heart shot. Smiler

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good thing we have evolution. Do you think the tree huggers would try to stop us from shooting a T REX?

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
It depends whether the T REX lived in their backyard. Many treehuggers will defend wild dangerous animals that live in "other" people's backyards. John

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always found this a amusing 'what if'; hunting dinosaurs...

But.....

What about one of the big saurapods? Those sonsofguns may have very well weighed over 50 tons.
Could a hunter's bullet; even using really big calibers, even get in deep enough to get to the heart? That's gotta be yards worth of flesh to plow thru! And if it clips one of those massive bones.....

Posts: 98 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 13 September 2009Reply With Quote