New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mammoth/ mastadon
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A recent OCT 2012 New York State report shows that both mammoths and Mastadons co-existed between 12-15,000 years ago in Orange County. What is your choice to clone ? It would save all that airfare to Africa !!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I think the Mastodon would make a nicer pet than the mammoth. You could probably train them to live with cows and protect them from cattle rustlers just they do with sheepdogs in a flock of sheep.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'll take a Columbian mammoth please. Those long, gracefully scrolled tusks would look awesome in my den!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mammoth; Tbey could clone a mammoth now if they wanted to; they find them all the time in Siberia, meat still fresh.

Posts: 17102 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much remodeling I would have to do to fit a pair of 300+lbs a side 12-14 foot long tusks in my cozy little trophy room...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lewis -Clark --- If the Delaware indians say so it must be so as I live in the Turtle Clan area of the Delawares . Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Rich: Ain't it nice to dream? I'd hunt mine with an atlatl and red osier dogwood darts tipped with 5-inch Clovis points ...
Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
I read a book in the 1960's titled "The Last Mammoth". Setting in the 1700 or early 1800's, about a young gent trying to kill a Mammoth with his flint lock muzzle loader. Kentucky Territory. Mammoth was the last one left and was a terror on the indian villages.

Gun did not have much effect. So he built a forge and made a big spear head from the barrel.

Set up a drop spear between two trees. Had his indian buddy lure the beast into the trap.

Posts: 1449 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
mammoths and Mastadons

I've seen both, at Beverly Center.

Posts: 47 | Location: HOLLYWOOD HILLS | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H2CO3:
quote:
mammoths and Mastadons

I've seen both, at Beverly Center.

I'm surprised they don't avoid people.....

Posts: 187 | Location: Late,Great Golden State | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention the ones that went downtown and got stuck in the Tar Pits......