New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saved From The Jaws Of The Croc
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
DARWIN, Australia (AP) -- A 3-meter (10-foot) saltwater crocodile attacked a hunter in the Australian Outback and clamped its jaws around his leg, releasing him only after the man's aunt punched the reptile in the snout, according to a report Monday.

The victim, 19-year-old Manuel Pascoe, was returning from hunting geese Saturday night when the crocodile, possibly attracted by blood from the dead birds, lunged from a creek and tried to drag the man into the water, The Northern Territory News reported.

Other members of the hunting party grabbed Pascoe, but the powerful reptile did not let go until the man's aunt, Margaret Rinybuma, punched it in the snout.

"I hit him with my fist on the nose and I yelled out 'Help! In the name of Jesus!' and it let him go," Rinybuma told the newspaper.

Pascoe suffered muscle damage to his left leg and was hospitalized in stable condition.

The attack occurred along a creek near the Blyth River, about 400 kilometers (250 miles) east of the Northern Territory capital of Darwin.

Saltwater crocodiles are the world's largest type of crocodile, with some of the reptiles growing to be longer than 6 meters (20 feet).

Posts: 66926 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Saw the report on TV news, I reckon when the croc saw how ugly the guy was it spat him out!

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Duck and goose is favourite fare for crocodiles.

Blyth River? That's where I hope to hunt next year!

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Watch out mate, that croc likes white meat!!

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
1) Yeah I had an aunt like that too!

2) However, if I am "COMING BACK FROM HUNTING GEESE" I suppose I could think of another way of solving the problem! Though my hunch is they were probably snaring the geese or some other non-shooting method.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lol, thats just what I thought, crocks are tough, but both barrels from my 10 ga, may be enough to get him to consider letting me go....I hope

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a photo (taken from a bridge) overlooking the Tarcoles River in Costa Rica - the largest crocodile is believed to be a 20 footer - I don't believe any hunting is done in Costa Rica, this river was full of crocodiles - make mine a size 11.5, medium width [Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]  - --- after looking at this photo a bit, I realized that the tires in the mud give an indication of size, in other words, that big fellow is probably not a 20 footer (although all the locals swear it is) - still, there were MANY of them and several locals had set up a refreshment stand at each end of the bridge to sell cold drinks to all of us "tourista" that stopped to look at the crocodiles - this was in early February which is the middle of the dry season, temps in the high 90's with a hot sun - great place - KMule

[ 11-11-2003, 03:17: Message edited by: KMuleinAK ]

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Standing next to his boat, in the water, with magpie goose blood all around and he wounders why he got bit [Roll Eyes]

Bakes

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
KMule- Exactly where is that spot? I'm planning a trip to CR.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
KMule- Exactly where is that spot? I'm planning a trip to CR.

map of Costa Rica -- west of San Jose, about 90 +/- kilometers and near Orifina on highway 34 going to Jaco - a person could spend years in Costa Rica in order to see it all, fantastic place - when do you plan on going ? I ask as the dry season is just now starting, will last until roughly the end of April - the wet season, especially August and September, well lets just say you should really enjoy rain if you choose to visit then. Of course, some great off season deals are available in the wet season. Doesn't matter, just go, it is a great place. Once you go, you will want to return - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
KMule- Thanks, great map. We were thinking about spring but maybe we need to go before then. Everyone we know who has been loves it, all kinds of variety, etc. Nice to see they have set aside lots of natural reserves. We travel in Mexico a lot, our favorite way is by bus. Just got back from Copper Canyon in the Sierra Madres, very spectacular.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Bakes

I have a mate who was hunting ducks in Northern Western Australia. He was standing in the water and on shooting a duck had a large salty cruise right past him almost in touching distance out to retrieve his duck for him.

He whistled and whistled but that damn duck croc retriever never brought it back. [Mad]

My guess he would have been on dry land by then too. [Wink]

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saw a program on t.v about Africa ,a couple of months ago ,with a cape buffalo going to water and being attacked by a big croc ,which latched onto the buffs throat .this buffalo pulled the croc [and a big one]right out of the river up onto the bank,to the amazement of other onlooking buffs, the croc eventually let go and gave up .one tough buff!!!!!!!

Posts: 148 | Location: brisbane australia | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have thought that was one unusual crocodile rather than an unusual buffalo

Crocodiles (and lizards) typically take prey that is quite a bit smaller than themselves. A 300 pound crocodile does not take animals of the size that a 300 pound lion takes.

However, as crocodile size gets larger then the gap between its weight and the weight of the prey gets smaller. Crocodiles that take prey the size of cattle and buffalo are normally reptiles that are in the 1 ton weight area, a size which is normally reserved for the Salt Water crocodile.

I am sure you would appreciate the buffalo is not going to back away from the bank of the river with a crocodile of 1 ton hanging onto its neck, especially given the "discomfort" caused by the bite from a 1 ton crocodile [Smile]

So I think it was an unusual crocodile and the much bigger buffal did what comes naturally.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
KMule- Thanks, great map. We were thinking about spring but maybe we need to go before then. Everyone we know who has been loves it, all kinds of variety, etc. Nice to see they have set aside lots of natural reserves. We travel in Mexico a lot, our favorite way is by bus. Just got back from Copper Canyon in the Sierra Madres, very spectacular.

- This cayman was watching us float by on the Sarapequia (sp?) river in Costa Rica - having lived in Texas, I thought January through April was spring [Wink] in Texas - you will enjoy CR whenever you go - also, the lowest priced airfare originates in Houston and Miami, good for you [Big Grin] [Big Grin] KMule

[ 12-08-2003, 02:13: Message edited by: KMuleinAK ]

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Thats just poor training Nitro.

Posts: 7972 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

I have to back Bakes up here, I think your friend needs to put a training collar on that retrieving croc and show him who's boss!

I would love to see the flick of the buff pulling the croc out. Interesting with the tables turn so unexpectedly. I am fascinated with the buffalo. If i could hunt one dangerous game on this planet that would be the one. I have only read maybe 3 stories about SERIOUS buffalos. True most hunts go smooth, but you are hunting what is potentially the most dangerous animal on the planet, and from one of the stories I read they hold a grudge.

Oh well, back to dreaming.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote