Notify
Tools

Re: World's Largest Snake Captured In Indonesia
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Either way that would be one MEAN snake when its hungry,
My 6 foot Rainbow boa was enough for me

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
This critter was on CNN this morning, filmed from quite a few angles. I would say from the number of men standing alongside of it in the cage, that it is easily over 30', and I certainly have no reason to doubt the 49' figure. I also doubt the folks in the cage with it could have handled it if it had decided to get nasty with them. However, it was merely doing its snake thing, rubbing its nose all over the cage trying to find a way out. I used to raise snakes as a kid and was bitten by most of them. Now if I had had a snake even 1/4 the size of this one, I might have been able to get rid of a little brother and sister!

Posts: 17 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How big would you say this baby is?

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
I anticipate word shortly of an even larger anaconda that had been captured somewhat earlier than this python in the wilds of Brazil.................................monty

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nick,

That snake is a whole heap smaller than the photo would indicate.

What I would query on the 49 foot snake is its weight.

It should be about 8 times heavier than a snake of 25 feet and a 25 footer is going to weigh a lot more than 120 pounds.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Quote:

Nick,

That snake is a whole heap smaller than the photo would indicate. Mike

My Point, Exactly. The weight given on the retic sounds about right for the given length, however. The retic is not so prone to added girth with increased length, as would be the Anaconda, Saltwater Crocodile or Great White, for example.