New
Find
Notify
Tools

Etosha Park fish
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can anyone tell me what the one species of fish is that is found in Etosha Park in Namibia. I've seen piles of references that say there is one species, but not the name. Common or scientific will be enough to get me started. Thanks!

Posts: 211 | Location: West of the Big Muddy | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Oh, I forgot - you might find http://www.fishbase.org/search.cfm helpful.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I pride myself on being a "Google whiz" - but this was a challenge - here's all the choices I could come up with:

1. Overview Of Species
Common name(s) : Lake Guinas Dwarf Kurper, Lake Guinas Tilapia, Otjikoto Tilapia
Latin name : Tilapia guinasana
Family : Cichlidae
Distribution : Namibia

Found in a deep sinkhole lake, Lake Guinas, Namibia which is over 100 m deep, with moderately clear water and with water temperatures ranging from 19 to 27�C. There is an introduced population in Lake Otjikoto. Feeds mainly on algae and diatoms from the rock walls. Generally congregate, breed and feed from the near-vertical shores. Use narrow shelves for breeding, with established and defended territories, both parents guard and tend eggs. Threatened due to depletion of local groundwater resources and impact of introduced species. Individuals tend to display different colour patterns ranging from pure black to mottled black and blue, pink and white.

2. Together with Lake Guinas, the lake is home to a highly coloured population of fish: the southern mouthbrooder, Pseudocrenilabrus philander. These have attracted much scientific interest for changes in their colour and behaviour as a result of this restricted environment. Now the lake is also home to some Tilapia guinasana, which are endemic to Lake Guinas but have been introduced here to aid their conservation.

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote