Snake bursts after gobbling gator
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4313978.stm

Snake bursts after gobbling gator

Both giant predators died in the clash

Enlarge Image
An unusual clash between a 6-foot (1.8m) alligator and a 13-foot (3.9m) python has left two of the deadliest predators dead in Florida's swamps.

The Burmese python tried to swallow its fearsome rival whole but then exploded.

The remains of the two giant reptiles were found by astonished rangers in the Everglades National Park.

The rangers say the find suggests that non-native Burmese pythons might even challenge alligators' leading position in the food chain in the swamps.

Clearly, if they can kill an alligator they can kill other species- Prof Frank Mazzotti

The python's remains with the victim's tail protruding from its burst midsection were found last week. The head of the python was missing.

"Encounters like that are almost never seen in the wild... And here we are," Frank Mazzotti, a University of Florida wildlife professor, was quoted as saying by the Associated Press news agency.

"They were probably evenly matched in size. If the python got a good grip on the alligator before the alligator got a good grip on him, he could win," Professor Mazzotti said.

He said the alligator may have clawed at the python's stomach, leading it to burst.

"Clearly, if they can kill an alligator they can kill other species," Prof Mazzotti said.

He said that there had been four known encounters between the two species in the past. In the other cases, the alligator won or the battle was an apparent draw.

Burmese pythons - many of whom have been dumped by their owners - have thrived in the wet and hot climate of Florida's swamps over the past 20 years.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!! That is just strange. Did one suffocate inside the other? bewildered

Arctic Gun

Posts: 91 | Location: North of sixty | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Free ranging Pythons in the glades! oh oh. Eeker

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8345 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder what the population # is ?

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in West Palm Beach Florida I worked at Lion Country Safari not far from Loxihatchie and we found monkeys in the wild,we were asked to hunt them for Lion Country to keep lawsuits from getting them.My mother still has a news paper clipping of a Piranna being caught with a fishing pole in Palm Beach Canal along state road 80 in the early 60's.I bet there are alot of unnatural annimals and reptiles there.Drop-Shot

Posts: 91 | Location: Helena,Montana | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6XCVE
posted Hide Post
Hey thats cool, sweet justice for the gator, or maybe not.
Seen photos of a python with an oil rig worker in its belly, that was about 3 year ago on the internet.
Seen another similar case, on display in a museum where a goanna bit off more than it could chew by biting into an echidna. The goanna got the head in after that it was too late the spines / quils of the echidna stuck in the sides of the goannas mouth and throat. They got stuck together and died, but the sun baked them dry and preserved them in that state and some one found them stuck together.

If a sportsman true you'd be
Listen careefully to me........., Never, never let your gun Pointed be at anyone, That it may unloaded be Matters not the least to me. When a hedge of fence you cross Though of time it cause a loss From your gun the cartridge take For the greater safety sake. If between you and a neighbour's gun Bird shall fly or beast may run Let this rule be thine "Follow not accross the line." Stops and beaters often unseen Lurk behind some Leafy screen. Calm and steady always be "Never shoot where you can't see."
You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think of this:
"All the game ever bred Won't repay one man dead."

Posts: 42 | Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of splinterhands
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have with that picture, if the gator was supposed to be alive while swallowed is that the snake will wrap it up and squeeze the life out of it for many minutes before swallowing. The snake will not take a chance on live prey fighting back and possibly injuring it. Of course, the gator may have been dead and got a "lucky" scratch with its claws as the snake swallowed it. John

"I'm smiling because they haven't found the bodies."

Posts: 1081 | Location: Pearisburg Virginia | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote