New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Falconry in print?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For anyone who loves falcons "The Peregrine" by JA Baker is indeed a must-read.

Though not about falconry, the book is written by an English guy who spent a whole winter in the '60's following wintering peregrines around an English valley, at a time when losses to DDT made the eventual extinction of the species seem probable.

Spectacular descriptions of peregrine behaviour, including detailed examinations of their long, fast stoops out of the sky. He found the best-looking dives were often unsuccessful.

Most memorable is his description of witnessing a big female's stoop from directly underneath, the falcon a pulsing image growing steadily larger, this image suddenly blocked out by a great-black backed gull, which explodes in a puff of feathers and falls to earth with a broken neck.

Pardon me, I'm getting carried away A book you can read over and over and never get tired of.

Birdwatcher

posted Hide Post
I would try "El arte de Cetrer�a", de Felix Rodriguez de La Fuente, Libreria Noriega, Mexico. There is probably an english translation, if you are not familiar with spanish language. The book deals with the matter quite completely, covering birds of prey, how to catch and train them, equipment, and what to expect from each species, from peregrine falcons to eagles, including hawks of many kinds. There is also a section on reprocuction, diseases and treatment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Art of Falconry
By Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II Of Hohenstaufen

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote