New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falconry in general
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New to the forum, but not falconry... 50 years....interesting that falconry would be on this site. I came to this site for reloading and came across this thread.. have only read about 90% of the last page but it seems there aren't many falconers on board. Falconry is very unique and an art ... not a sport... It may have been a sport of kings but they didn't have to spend the time with the birds and train them. It was more like a feathered shotgun to them..... when they had the whim they called out the cadge boys and trainers and held the birds on their fists that were already trained and ready to go....
To become a Falconer(flys falcons) or an Austringer (Flys hawks) doesn't really take a long time... I'm pretty sure that in all U.S. states a person has to be at least 16 an d have a sponser (general or master falconer) have a mews built to specs. with all equipment ... then have it inspected by state Fish cops then take an exam (standardized) approx. 120 questions close to college entrance in difficulty.. Then serve a 2 year apprenticeship under their sponsor.. before getting a general licence... Master falconer licence takes 5 years. the general and master licence doesn't really make you a better falconer only the disire to learn and time with different birds and patience... It does take more than a few months to do justice for the bird... some people will capture a passage bird (first year bird) and train it a few months and then kick it loose.... It takes 2 to 3 years with a bird training and hunting to get the full potential out of the bird and do it justice... especially falcons and especially if it is an eyeas (Taken out of a nest) It was alot easier to get the most out of a bird in a short time when it was legal to take haggards (fully adult plummage) out of the wild. The full dedication to the birds is hard to find these days because of the busy-ness we have in our lives and the fact that having a raptor is like having milk cows..
have to be there everyday..... this is probably longer than it needed to be..

faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more rifles

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Very much appreciate you sharing your obvious knowledge of falcons, raptors, etc. I know nothing about them, but read quite a lot about the subject whenever available. Just noticed in todays news that a pro golfer purposely killed a red shoulder hawk on the golf course because it was making noise while trying to film hitting a drive. Yep, they arrested him and will be interesting to see what they do to him in the end. Believe his name is Issenhour and he is a pro golfer, and able to drive a ball some 75 yards and hit the bird. Could prove to be a very expensive golf lesson in what not to do while on the course!!

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great write up. As to why it is here, perhaps the picture at the top of this forum says it all? For some reason Falconry has been very popular in the Middle East. Did the Westerners get it from there or vice versa? As you say, it takes time, and for many these days that commodity is in short suppply. Having said that, are there opportunities in Florida to see falconry "in action"?
From the philosophical perspective, is there a bond between falcon and handler, or is the falcon a tool? Or both?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Falconry has been going on for so long that there is a long standing controversy as too where it started Asia or middle east... It has been going in the middle east since Moby dick was a minnow...
I sent my Goshawk to a fellow in florida several years ago... I think he is still flying her, but haven't comm. with him for a long time.
The best way to find a falconer in your area is to contact your state fish cops and they will be able to direct you or at least give you a list of names....they may have a special state dept. that handles falconry... most will probably be glad to talk to you, but don't be suprised to get a cold shoulder or two.. falconers are only human there are some butt heads among us....There are some good books about falconry that you may find at your local library.. Webster and Bebe... jack sampson...jammima... Take them all with a grain of salt... and there is I believe a booklet put out by the California Hawking club...One of the best suppliers for falconry books and supplies is in Washington State. Northwoodsfalconry.com
Brad is the owners name.... Excellent quality, service and also has captive bred birds for sale...It is too bad beginners can't have Harris Hawks to work with as well as Redtail and Kestrel's (Sparrow Hawks in U.S.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a snippet of a video showing John Denver holding up his gloved hand for a falcon to land on. Was he really into this or was it just for show?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WAY JUST FOR SHOW!!!!!!!
It takes too much time and commitment for celebs to participate... Kind of like the kings and such in the 15 century... they had someone else do the work for them.....

One of Us
Picture of Mary Hilliard-Krueger
posted Hide Post
I think his heart wanted to be more involved although his schedule would not allow it. With the daily' four year + commitment (daughter was going to take it up in High School). John Denver was a huge financial supporter for many outdoor organizations, including the Wildlife Federation. His free time was spent out in the wilderness, hiking, camping, fishing, climbing, photographing or flying.

Have a friend in Norhern Az. who is a falconer. He headed us in the right direction. We got all the info and just realized it would be to great of a commitment while attending a very tough, Liberal Arts, Classical core cirriculum H.S. I don't doubt she will reinvestigate after college.

Taxidermist/Rugmaker

Posts: 904 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 12 April 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have several friends in Alaska who are falconers and would go to their meets. In the 80's there were only around 20. Some would also do the Audubon bird counts or belong to the Grouse Club. One testified to the State Fish and Game. We were out in the field year around here, was fun...anyway, found it interesting when in New Zealand the Wellington Airport which ends in the ocean had lots of problems with birds, so had an on duty professional falconer. About the time I was there-1986-1987 they put the New Zealand falcon on a postage stamp. There was only one in the country.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THERE ARE SEVERAL AIRPORTS THAT USE FALCON AND HAWKS TO REGULATE THE BIRDS... IT'S MOSTLY A DETERANT TO SCARE THE BIRDS AWAY BUT THE FALCONS AND HAWKS SCORE ONCE IN AWHILE..... dancing
THERE IS A HUGE COMMITMENT WITH HAVEING BIRDS... A PERSON DOES THE BIRDS NO SERVICE OR JUSTICE BE LETTING THEM SIT ON A PERCH JUST TO HAVE THE EGO TRIP OF SHOWING THEM OFF TO FRIENDS.. AND I'M SORRY TO SAY THERE ARE SEVERAL BIRD KEEPERS (NOT FALCONERS) THAT DO JUST THAT....AND IT'S LIKE MILKING COWS .. YOU HAVE TO BE THERE EVERY DAY...

posted Hide Post
What is the latest in tracking devices? With all the new technology-haven't been hunting since the early 90's...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big, I've been a falconer since I was 8 years old, learned it from my grandfather, flew kestrels, sharpies and merlins. welcome

quote:
Originally posted by big johnson:
New to the forum, but not falconry... 50 years....interesting that falconry would be on this site. I came to this site for reloading and came across this thread.. have only read about 90% of the last page but it seems there aren't many falconers on board. Falconry is very unique and an art ... not a sport... It may have been a sport of kings but they didn't have to spend the time with the birds and train them. It was more like a feathered shotgun to them..... when they had the whim they called out the cadge boys and trainers and held the birds on their fists that were already trained and ready to go....
To become a Falconer(flys falcons) or an Austringer (Flys hawks) doesn't really take a long time... I'm pretty sure that in all U.S. states a person has to be at least 16 an d have a sponser (general or master falconer) have a mews built to specs. with all equipment ... then have it inspected by state Fish cops then take an exam (standardized) approx. 120 questions close to college entrance in difficulty.. Then serve a 2 year apprenticeship under their sponsor.. before getting a general licence... Master falconer licence takes 5 years. the general and master licence doesn't really make you a better falconer only the disire to learn and time with different birds and patience... It does take more than a few months to do justice for the bird... some people will capture a passage bird (first year bird) and train it a few months and then kick it loose.... It takes 2 to 3 years with a bird training and hunting to get the full potential out of the bird and do it justice... especially falcons and especially if it is an eyeas (Taken out of a nest) It was alot easier to get the most out of a bird in a short time when it was legal to take haggards (fully adult plummage) out of the wild. The full dedication to the birds is hard to find these days because of the busy-ness we have in our lives and the fact that having a raptor is like having milk cows..
have to be there everyday..... this is probably longer than it needed to be..

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote