THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FALCON HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Falcon Hunting    Falcon's and the pigeons who taunt them

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Falcon's and the pigeons who taunt them
 Login/Join

posted
I used to be a falconer as a kid, having raised a few Kestrals, and then training a large Red Tail. I loved it - but flying pigeons were my first love.

I'm not sure many falconers know it - but you can see many times the great chases than you ever could trying to release hawks or falcons by merely releasing a flock of pigeons.

Some breeds of pigeons are easy pickings - but some breeds are actually bred to be released when a hawk or falcon is sighted.

Some are almost impossible for the raptor to catch because they are so shifty and fast (a breed called Turbiteens) while others go (Wutas and Doneks) go into high speed stoop while rotating axially - with the hawk or falcon on their tail.At the last second the pigeon has a unique braking swerve move that, in theory, results in the raptor (who's eyes were glued on the pigeon) flying into a building or ground - breaking it's neck - to the delight of the pigeon flyer.

Do we have any falconer out there who've heard of these pigeons? I've just aquired some, and hope they will prove usefull in protecting my flock of rollers.