New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ducks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What birds will go after ducks? Will any take on geese (ie Canadas)?

Thanks,
QD

posted Hide Post
I've heard passage female gyrfalcons winter on geese. Seen some footage of gyrkin on geese and it wasn't pretty. The gyrkin ended up getting the goose but after a long battle. Similiar to footage I've seen of falcons and houbara. After saying that I'm considering flying my tiercel gyr/peregrine at the lesser canadas that winter here in Colorado. Depending on if I can find the right slip. Anything down to tiercel anatums will take ducks. So will goshawks and harris.

Posts: 8 | Location: denver, co, usa | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
There is a body of opinion that the name goshawk was originally "goose-hawk" because those rapacious birds will even take on European geese. This might be possible in the case of brant which aren't all that much larger than ducks but whether a gos could actually tie into either a pinkfoot or a barnacle goose is, to my mind, very questionable. I would suspect than anyone who was really interested in goose-hawking would be better armed with a golden eagle.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Peregrine falcon's other name is Duck Hawk ! I have a copy of Audubon's Birds of America and in it there is a copy of a painting showing two peregrines feasting on ducks .One of the places where they did this is the Palisades along the NJ side of the Hudson River across from NYC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I'd love to see some pictures.

posted Hide Post
Here is a photo of my old tiercel gyr/peregrine on a duck.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/jmnucci/grouse007.jpg

And for the hell of it with a sharptailed grouse

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/jmnucci/grouse017.jpg

Posts: 8 | Location: denver, co, usa | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote