New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a new rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just bought a new rifle. I work as the Range Safety Officer at an Indoor range/Gun Shop in Hunstville, AL. Darn it is hard to get

ahead when one works in the candy store. I was looking at the new stuff Friday morning and saw a CZ 527 with a Desert Camo

laminate stock in .223. Darn is was so pretty that I had to buy it. Well, I own about a third of it, Larry's still o

owns the other two thirds.

Does anyone know the twist rate for this rifle?

For those that use a .22 cal bullet for small deer what seems to be the best bullet for deer?

Please dont start a "dont use a .22 for deer" thread reply for this. It is legal to use where I live and I may choose

to use it for deer.

Thanks

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're asking about factory ammo, I've used winchesters 64 grain power point plus on deer-drops 'em like a rock! (of course with proper placement)

Congrats on your new purchase! or at least on that 1st 1/3!

dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
JImbo:

63 grain Sierra, Sierra's new 65 grain is to be designed for Deer, My favorite is the Speer 70 grain Spitzer.

I can also attest to the Barnes XLC bullet in 53 grains, as a deer getter.

I have to order some of those new 65 grain Speers, and do a test on them.

That rifle sounds pretty darn sweet to me!

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new rifle jim. I will have to agree with the 64 grain WW power points, and I ill have to throw in a vote for Federals 55gr trophy bonded bear claw also. The TBBC may not be stable in your gun but give them a ring out also.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I tried using a 22-250 on a California Black tail deer fork horn. These are very small deer. I used a Speer 70 grain bullet at 50 yards. I made a perfect shot. He a was hit solidly. He disappeared into heavy brush area. It should have killed him but it didn't, luckily one of the other hunters in the party saw him trying to sneak away and it took only one shot from a 30-30 to do him in.

I decided that I would use a larger caliber rifle.

Perhaps the Speer 70 grain bullet is not the best available but this was in the mid 70's.

Just thought I would post my experience.

Posts: 10 | Location: Provo Utah | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I believe Nosler makes a 60 grain Partition that could do the trick too.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I believe Nosler makes a 60 grain Partition that could do the trick too.

YUP and Barnes Triple Shox..

BTW....Please do not use a 22 on deer!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop

I see that you are in Wyoming? How big are the deer where you live and what is the average distance a deer is shot at.

Where I live a 100 lb deer is pretty good size, and the average(I just tonight checked 100 deer kill distances) is 72
yards.

The deer here are not monsters and the distances are pretty short.

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I'll throw in my 2cents here since you asked POP. I'm in Eastern Nebraska and if the deer just west of our state in Wyoming are anything like what I encounter here POP is pleading on solid ground. I've shot little forked antlered bucks here that dress out around 225-250 lbs. I lost a good sized doe a few years back here with three nice shots through the lungs with a 308 win. Tracked her over a half a mile to find the drought stricken coyotes her stuffing themselves. Absolutely sickening couldn't even shoot the darn critters because she'd gotten onto the neighbors property and they're very anti-hunting ! As to this date I still can't find it in my heart to point anything that punches less than a .30" hole at a deer. Still hoping one day......... After all I've got a mountain of 6mm-7mm rifles waiting their turn.

Now your case sounds like a whole other story. I can understand a centerfire 22 on those little critters! I truely do understand! Last fall a co-worker took me out to a place he owns in Southern Indiana to try to entice me to consider hunting his deer there this coming season, that is this fall. Those crazy little critters with big racks!

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom,

Welcome fellow Husker. I'm in Lincoln too. "Nebraska" is in Omaha. Shoot me a PM. Maybe we can meet a Scheels or something and drool over stuff....

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I've got some Barnes 53grain "X" bullets (Blue coating). If you want 10 to test out shoot me a PM with your address. The suckers were expensive so you don't want to buy a whole box (like I did) until you know they will shoot in your gun! They didn't shoot for sh** out of my 22-250.

Roger

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote