New
Find
Notify
Tools

7X61 S&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering if anyone knows what a 7X61 sharp and heart is, and where i could find some info on it? Any help would be app.
Thanks

Posts: 61 | Location: Ontario Canada | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
I am not 100%, but I thiought the sharp and heart was imported by norma in the early 60's and then came the 7 rem mag and pretty much did in the sharp and heart. If my memory is right, it is very simular to a 308norma necked down to .284. Perpormance would be very close to the 7 rem mag. I would think that load information could be found in any 70's vintage reloading manual.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Phil Sharpe was a rifle experimenter who published a very large volume on loads and loading. From the photos in that book he seemed to have a lot of money.

The 7X61 S&H is a belted magnum with less capacity than the 7mm Rem Mag. Rifles were made by Schutz and Larsen and the bolt actions have rear locking lugs.

I recall that the loads were quite hot.

The cartridge was never that popular and it died when Remington came out with their big 7.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 7x61 Sharpe & Hart like mentioned earlier is a short belted magnum. It has a case length of 2.394 and a 44 degree shoulder. Norma ammunition was loaded to shoot a 160 gr bullet at 3050 fps. It is very similiar to the original 275 H&H Magnum.

There is really nothing that distinguishes it from many of the old wildcat short magnums and after the 7mm Rem. Mag came out it became a very obscure cartridge. Brass was still being made by Norma until a few years back.

I have had one on a Mauser 98 for a few years and reloading data was in Sierra and Hornady books through the 1970s.

Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
7X61 S&H or even called 7X61 super.

You can find loading data at www.norma.cc
I have a friend who has one. The angle of the chest is 44 degrees. My buddy reforms 7mm Rem mag cases. I think norma is making brass or have on the shelf.

/ Johan