THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Any Luck w/ 53 grn XXX or 45 grn XLC in a 14 twist?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Luck w/ 53 grn XXX or 45 grn XLC in a 14 twist?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
I stopped by Cabelas Last week and browsed the reloading section. While browsing through the .224s I found an opened box of 45 XLCs and an open box of 53 grn XXXs. The 45s were short much like varmint pills in the 50-55 grn range but, the XXXs were long much like a 70 grain .224 match bullet.

Have any of you tried to stabilize the long 53 grn XXX in a 1:14 twist?

What about the accuracy of the 45 XLCs, anyone had any luck?

Seems like they would be adequate for small animals such as lope' and do little pelt damage on yotes. Although, the HPs were very small and seem like they may not open 100% of the time.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken deer with both here in Oregon...They worked just fine in my 22.250 ( one in 14 twist) and my 223, with a one in 12 twist...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 45gr XLC is my coyote bullet of choice in my Hornet. Within the Hornets range limits, it hits them very hard. Accuracy is very good.

I have used it in a 223 and my 222mag, again for coyotes. Very good to excellent accuracy.

Excellent coyote bullet, lots of penetration, not much pelt damage, but lots of internal damage.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Reloader: I bought a box of the 53 gr. Barnes TSX to try in my Tikka T3 Varmint with a 1:14 twist. Only tried one load to date (been developing other loads) and wasn't very good. I tried 34 & 35 gr. of IMR-4895 seated at 2.43 (approx. .050 off lands) and (5) shot groups were lousy (1.95")!!! Have several other loads developed with 50 gr. V-Max. all shooting under 0.75 and a few at 0.30". I will get back to the 53 gr. TSX soon, but I'm also interested in success stories with this bullet; would like to minimize experimenting with these expensive little buggers!!!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote