New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Weatherby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys, what are your experiences with this cartridge? I found a lefty weatherby over on gunsamerica that has peaked my interests. It would be a whitetail gun for the most part and maybe a lope/mulie gun if i ever get out into the western 1/2 of the country.

Posts: 97 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I've owned a couple with mixed results. I always wanted one to shoot those small bullets 4000 FPS. However, both of mine preferred the larger bullets. I had VVG build me a Encore barrel that liked to put 115 grain bullets into one hole. I took my last two Elk with this barrel, and then sold it for $150 more than I paid for it. I feel I got ripped off in the deal.
My recommendations are to decide what bullet you want to shoot, and then check the twist rate.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
My experience with the super fast cartridges 25 caliber and below has also been a mixed bag as far as performance on deer size game and above. Bullet performance is to critical and not always consistant. I was given this advice 40 years ago and didn't pay any attention to it. The fasination with the fastet bullets seems to deminish with age and matteration. Some time the materation is a little retarded. I would suggest you get a not too glamerous 6.5X55, 7X57 or a .270. That'll cover it nicely you bet. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a .257 WBY for Texas deer and find it to be flawless. I'm lefty and tried finding a .25-06. Short of having one custom built, I settled on a weatherby accumark LH.

I hand load 100 gr. bullets only. I've used Nosler Ballistic tips, Swift A-frames and Barnes X. The ballistic tips are too explosive on deer, as might be expected. The A-frames work well. I've settled on using only Barnes X. I get 5/8" to 3/4" groups and could probably tighten these up with some more load development and range time.

I don't know which model you're looking at. The regular accumark is a heavy gun, which is fine for Texas deer hunting out of a stand. If I had to do it again, I'd probably get the lightweight model.

Posts: 521 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a 257 Weatherby and have seen one used on deer down south. They shoot the deer with the 100gr bullets ,Does,right in the ear. The bucks they shoot with the 120gr bullet right in the lungs. Its a great gun for less weight.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote