New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the 7x57 Brenneke?
 Login/Join

<Ken in VA>
posted
I saw that NEF chambers their Handi-Rifle for this. What is it?

Thanks
Ken

one of us
Picture of Montana
posted Hide Post
Well the .280Rem is a 7x64 so I would guess it is a 7mm-08 or pretty close.

Posts: 571 | Location: Central, NC | Registered: 03 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Ken in VA>
posted
Maybe my question was a little unclear.
I own a Ruger No. 1 in 7 x 57 (7 mm Mauser), but NEF catalogs two separate 7 x 57's. One is the 7 mm Mauser, the other the 7 x 57 Brenneke.
I'm thinking it may be rimmed (more positive extraction), but really don't know.
Can't seem to find my "Cartridges of the World." Wonder who borrowed it?

Ken

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Ken,

I am unable to find any refernce to a 7x57 Brenneke, but of course there is a 7x57 Rimmed.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66954 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is probably a typo and should read 7x64 Brenneke as that is the correct name for that cartridge.

------------------
Gerard Schultz
GS Custom Bullets

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I belive it is special factory "hot" loading of 7x57 by Brenneke, but not sure . . .

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<bolden>
posted
Nef does list the 7 X 64 Brenneke, which is almost identical to the 280 remington, except slightly smaller. You might try the Nef-singleshot site located at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nef-singleshot/
with your question.

------------------
Joel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is the 9.3X64 case necked down to 7mm it would be somewhat larger than the .280 and would be a very interesting round. The downside would be the $2 for each case. I would imagine the 7mm short magnums will give near the same velocity and be much cheaper to start with for brass.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
The 9.3 and the 7x64 are entirely different cases. The 9.3 is like a .458WinMag necked down to 9.3 with no belt. The 7x64, without looking at the bottom of the case, would be almost impossible to distinguish from the .280 Rem or the 7mm'06. Cobalt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt, I was just rambling. I just looked up the 7X64 in cartridges of the world and you can make them from 06 cases, although it says they would be slightly shorter. The 9.3 cases necked down to 7mm would be interesting though, except for paying for them.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

<vibrasonic9>
posted
Seems kinda funny that the Brenneke pretty much acts like a 7mmRem.Mag. but has been around 40 years longer. Makes you wonder why we needed a new cartridge.
Rod

------------------
Rod's Place

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

<konst>
posted

I didn�t know that Brenneke "made" a 7*66 maximun.
Only know the 7*66SE vom Hofe (SE= Super Express)

cheers
konstantin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:
On this case he made:
6.5x64 Brenneke

He did not. The 6,5 x 64 is little more than a slightly altred German variant of the 6,5mm-06, which was introduced in the 1980s, and just named in honour of old Brenneke. Factory loads by MEN. The cartridge lost the market race to the similarly promoted 6,5 x 65 RWS.

quote:
The 9.3x70 Brenneke based on a .404 Jeff case also known as a 9.3x70 H&H.

Not a Brenneke product, but a DWM development (case number # 569), which now has been admirably revived by Harald Wolf. Blueprints are kept by G�nter Fr�res.

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And we still don't know about the 7 x 57 brenneke. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

As ALF posted earlier in this thread, "Wilhelm Brenneke never made a 7x57 Brenneke...."

To the best of my knowledge, that is correct.

7x57 Mauser (aka .275 Rigby)
7x64 Brenneke

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote