Notify
Tools

Re: .222 becoming obsolete?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted
???

At least Winchester, Sellier&Bellot, PMC, Norma, Sako, and Federal makes factory-loaded .222Rem ammo. If you also add factory-made brass, I bought 100 Remington .222brass just recently even though I still will stick to Norma brass in the future.

But when people are dissin' the .222Rem, they sometimes claim that the .222Rem is underpowered for smaller deer and other critters in the 20kg/50lb size.

Here's a picture from a beaver (the one to the left) I shot two weeks ago, I won't display it because of the faint-hearted souls that may browse by. I post the link instead. DO NOT PRINT unless you have an excessive amount of red ink left in your printer.

55gr Ballistic Tip, 900m/s, a 10 mm exit wound and the fur was virtually intact. Impressive! I just love the .22cal Ballistic Tips when it comes to keeping the furs intact.

The beaver did not have to endure prolonged suffering, if anyone does worry.

55gr Ballistic Tip terminal performance

Regards,

/HerrBerg

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget RWS, Hirtenberger, Geco - I'm sure there are others.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tdobesh
posted Hide Post
HerrBerg possibley mho,

I think you might have misunderstood my post I was speaking of the 222 Rem. Mag. not the 222 Rem. I realize that there are lots of sources currently for 222 Rem. At the time of my post I didn't think any one was still producing 222Rem. Mag. The 222 is the little brother to the 223Rem. the 222Rem. Mag. is the big brother to the 223Rem.

roebuck222,

Thanks for the link!!! Very informative! I didn't realize that SAKO offered ammunition, I'd never seen anything about it! I wonder if anyone here in the United States imports any of it??

Posts: 162 | Location: Lincoln, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Becoming obsolete?!

I thought it was already there. I really can't recall seeing a 222 rem chambered rifle ever.

I have seen lots of 223's of course. Either AR-15 or mini-14 mostly. I had a mini mauser and a friends brother also had a mini-mauser.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of roebuck222
posted Hide Post
Hi Rmiller,

I can asure you the 222 is very much alive and kicking..at least on the european side of the pond...I see from your location that you live on the north pole,ask Santa for 1 next christmas, you will be overjoyed that you did.
bit too light for polar bears though.

Cheers Roebuck

Posts: 165 | Location: Scottish Highlands | Registered: 28 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Roebuck222,

I live in North Pole, Alaska. Its near Fairbanks, Alaska.

Nope my next little gun will be a 204 ruger. I am sure its too light for any hunting here. Except snowshoe hare with head shots. Unless I want instant rabbit soup.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a 222 Remington Magnum built last year on a left-hand Remington 700 which had originally been a 223 Remington. The 222 Remington Magnum has a 26-inch heavy barrel with a 12-inch twist.

Also had a 221 Remington Fireball and a standard 222 Remington built on left-hand Remingtons at the same time.

Had no problem getting new 222 Rem Magnum brass. MidwayUSA list it on page 96 of their Master Catalog #2 in 20, 100, 500, and 1000 unit lots. Just checked on the internet, and Midway has plenty of 222 Rem Mag in-stock now.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote