New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 12 FV??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody has personal experience with a Savage 12 FV?? In particular, how is the stock - is it "floppy" in the forearm to the point where it negatively influences accuracy?? I'm sort of considering a 12 FV in .223.

Any other comments about the 12 FV would be much appreciated. It seems to be about the cheapest of the Model 12 series. It also seems to be of reasonable heft, and the barrel can be shortened without having to worry about flutes. Some people complain about the finish of Savages, I guess it is not the best in this respect...

Any experience with the after market trigger from Sharp Shooter Supply??

What is a good (cheap, reliable) source for Savage rifles in the US??

Thanks a lot in advance.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have one in 22-250 and a shooting buddy recently bought the same. the stock is weak in the foreend;however, it does not seem to bother the accuracy of either of these rifles. my plan is to replace the stock with a B&C Duramax. i have this stock on a 110fp and really like it. the B&C stocks are "drop-in" and are rigid. in total i have 4 savage rifles and have had no complaints beyond the factory stocks.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 12FV and it shoots well. The forearm clearance is generous and doesnt affect the accuracy. If I had it to do over, I would get a Tikka T3 in stainless. After over 1000 rounds the Savage still copper fouls badly. My T3 Lite Stainless in .308 stopped copper fouling after 10 shots. There is something wrong with the chamber too, because the brass coming out of it tries to do its best impersonation of a 300H&H shoulder angle. The quality of these two barrels is different as night and day.

Posts: 132 | Location: Huntertown,Indiana | Registered: 11 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage just shipped me three rifles for a magazine product review article(s). 12BV-SS-S in 223 and 308, and the same in a repeater 243. The target sent with the rifles were all under .2moa for the single shots, and .304" for the repeater 243, and all were shot with factory ammunition. Accu-triggers all set at 2.5lbs. I can live with that...
Buy the laminate stock models, you can easily make them thinner.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep'em coming.

quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Buy the laminate stock models, you can easily make them thinner.
Rich

Rich, you mean in the forearm?? You take them down with a plane or what?? And how do you refinish??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one we did for my nephew, was set up in a mill and shaved until he said "Stop!". You can do it with a plane, you just need to make sure it is dead level and go gently. They use a urethane finish to seal. I got mine from Home Depot. Seal it inside and out for the weather thing.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mate!
- mike

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerUnless I see EVIDENCE to the contrary the Accuutrigger sucks. stirroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, I can't tell whether it does or not - never having tried it. However, I must admit having this thing about triggers. The Savage has the advantage of having (presumably?) good after market triggers available - e.g. this one: http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/Triggers.html

If I was to get a Savage, one of these would be mounted.

- mike