Find
Notify
Tools

Charles Daly Mini-Mauser?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted
Has anyone tried one of the Daly Mini-Mausers yet? They are starting to show up and I was curious if anyone had any feedback yet......

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The only real negative I've heard is on the ones converted to 22-250. Those comments were about the poor feeding and that it looked like it was altered after it left the factory.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
I don't recall where I read it, but the report I read was that they were crude and required a lot of finish work to make them right.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe Young
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Young:
I don't recall where I read it, but the report I read was that they were crude and required a lot of finish work to make them right.

Check out this forum, not the one I referred to, but seems thurogh.
Daly mini

Posts: 107 | Location: Lake City, FL | Registered: 15 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i sold one to a customer of mine and he is very happy with his. he worked up a load and it shoots real good. i have put barrels on two actions. quality wise i think they are as good as most factory guns. one customer is almost done his stock and the other still hasn't decided what to do for a stock.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 223 LH and it shoots as good as I can shoot!! I was going to make it into a 17 Mach 4 but it looks like I`ll just have to bite the bullet and get another action only and finish the project. Heck the c "El-CheapO" All American stuff is shooting .570 on a good day [for me] so why mess with success? I was going to "aacurize" it but WHY?

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Just talked to my gunsmith about actions for a new rifle. He reports that the daily is the best mauser he has worked on. When he does whaterver it is he does to accurize the actions the daily is almot perfect from the factory. We didn't talk about cometic finish just function.
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know anything about the triggers on these mini's?Comments appreciated.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Stepchild
The triggers "appear" to be very similar to the old Mk10s. Adjustments are about the same and I tried an old Finland FN [Sako] and it worked too. This means [?] Timney should work also. MAYBE! The originals adjust pretty good as-is and I got the one I made into a 17 Mach 4 down to a realistic 2.2 lbs and crisp. Good enough for me. I hope this answers your question well enough.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
Does anyone know anything about the triggers on these mini's?Comments appreciated.
Stepchild

I think Midway is selling an aftermarket trigger for the Mini Mark X. However, it may be essentially identical to a regular FN-dimension trigger for all I know.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got one in 7.62 x 39. The bore was rather rough. It shot poorly with 6 different ammo, including Winchester. I could not hit the 6" black at 100 yds. After 120 rds. and a good cleaning, the barrel settled down substantially. After another 100 rds., the Winchester now groups about 2.5 inches. Another 100 rds. should indicate what the gun will do consistently. The Russian ammo should be used only for plinking. The 154 gr. Wolf soft points are the worst.

The overall quality is quite good for a low end gun. The action appears to be a downsized copy of the Sako. I have not yet adjusted the trigger but it is two staged, like a military mauser. Finding scope bases other than Weaver is more than a challenge.

Why did I get one? I thought that it might be an O.K. bolt rifle for whacking pigs at relatively close range using a low powered cartridge. It will do as accuracy will not be an issue.

On the negative side, I find the bolt handle a bit too small as a scope is required, and it retards fast cycling. Loading the magazine is cumbersome with that cartridge. The feeding is acceptable but could be better with a follower that is made specifically for the cartridge.

Actually, I am better off staying with my old 92 Winchester rebarrelled to 44 mag. It's smoother, faster, holds 10 rds. and is the ultimate non-selfloader assault gun for porkers in an animal control shoot situation. Rather than whacking six or seven out of a bunch of 40, I'll probably get only two or three with the mini mauser. But, like many of us, I needed only a feeble excuse to get another gun.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 622 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an Old Mini-Mauser in .223, as in pre Bosnia, etc. , and it is a super shooter. I have heard comments about them that they do not "hold up" but have never seen any definitive proof of that opinion. Seems like a fine rifle to me.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To all who responded,
thanks for the comments.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the feedback......

I appreciate it!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote