New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to 22 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been tempted by this cartridge for ages, and in a weak moment ordered a new Ruger 77/22H VHZ in 22H.
I don't yet have it in hand, but am waiting for some Privi Partizan factory fodder to try it out.
I'm considering a Weaver V16 scope.
Any pet loads y'all would like to share would be appreciated.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As much LilGun as you can get in the case (and you can't get too much), small pistol primer, and a Hornady 35 grain VMAX.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
P.S. The Hornet is a very fun cartridge and fills a niche between rimfire and .223. It will do stuff between 75 and 150 yards that rimfires won't without the recoil and blast of a bigger centerfire.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! you have anticipated my application. I've been using a 17hmr as my off the porch pest gun, great on gophers but a little light for skunk and feral cats at 75-125 yards. That's my excuse, anyway.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:
As much LilGun as you can get in the case (and you can't get too much), small pistol primer, and a Hornady 35 grain VMAX.

LWD

Almost the same as LWD except I use 40 gr VMax and I use Rem 6 1/2 primers.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree that Lilgun and a small pistol primer are the place to start load development.

I use a Lee Collet Neck Sizer and only full size when required.

I did powder changes in .2gr increments. The Hornet is a small case and small changes are noticed immediately.

Have fun.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
+1 on Lil Gun, I currently use 13-gr Lil Gun pushing the 35gr V Max with Rem 6 1/2 primers. And crimped with the LFCD. This combo plain works for both target and pest Smiler Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Yes, me too,

12.5 grs of Lil-Gun and a Rem 6 1/2 primer with a 40 gr Vmax.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the Hornet. There is something about the low report, low recoil, low reloading,low cost to reload, that I really like. I load mine with 13 grains of lil gun but I have changed around on the bullets a lot. I have used and had success with 40 grain Noslers, Sierras, Hornady's and Barnes Varminators. I've used 35 grain Hornady Vmax and 30 grain Barnes Varmint Grenades. My Contender barrel likes the 30 grain bullets from Barnes the best. It will also shoot the 35's and 40's from all four manufacturers very well. Oh, I use a standard small rifle primer. CCI small rifle to be exact. I know the light bullets take away some of the longer range possibillities but that's ok. I use the 223 for those ranges.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have very good success in and Anschutz and Kimber with this load-

Win cases
13.2 lil gun
Fed small pistol primer
40 Berger HP (they cycle through clips)

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2649 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lads,

Question re/your recommended loads:

Do you use .223 or .224 bullets?? I'm having problems w/my Hornet (rifle that is... Wink), and have been using mostly .223's.

I've also put a new post on re/a barrel. Could use some advice there as well.

Thanks!!

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty: God help you! To start off with what I have read from people that have Ruger 22H the throats are cut too long and if you seat bullets to work out of the mag. that there is a half mile jump to the rifleing. I had a TC 22 H barrel and gave up on it. I gave up on trying to full lenght size as there is no real shoulder and turnig the die in 1/16 turn might move, what shoulder there is, back 0.020". I went with a Lee collet neck sizer and spacers on the shell holder to size the upper 1/3 of the neck. I found that Lil'gun to be very erratic in velosity and extrem spread when run over a cromo. Some people think that it is the next greatest thing after sliced bread but 1680 and 296/H110 worked for me. I also found that there was very little difference in consisticy between usesing Rem 6 1/2 and pistol primers. Lots of luck.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found that Lil'gun to be very erratic in velosity and extrem spread when run over a cromo. Some people think that it is the next greatest thing after sliced bread but 1680 and 296/H110 worked for me. I also found that there was very little difference in consisticy between usesing Rem 6 1/2 and pistol primers. Lots of luck.

I like consistent velocity too, but group size to me is more important, and Lil Gun gives very high velocity and small groups in my Browning.

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty --yes you need a hornet and I really don't see how you can get by without a .204 Ruger. I'm struggling but barely making it without a .204 myself.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greg K:
quote:
I found that Lil'gun to be very erratic in velosity and extrem spread when run over a cromo. Some people think that it is the next greatest thing after sliced bread but 1680 and 296/H110 worked for me. I also found that there was very little difference in consisticy between usesing Rem 6 1/2 and pistol primers. Lots of luck.

I like consistent velocity too, but group size to me is more important, and Lil Gun gives very high velocity and small groups in my Browning.

It is certainly true that Lil Gun will produce the highest velocities in a .22 Hornet. Unfortunately, it also produces some of the lowest -- all in the same five-shot string. Eeker

If I wanted higher velocities there are only about two dozen other .22 Centerfire calibers I could choose. The Hornet is not about velocity, so I look for the powder that most often yields the most consistent performance. AA1680 seems to most often represent the best choice.

I've never found that substituting small pistol primers will improve grouping in a Hornet, but the thinner/softer cups in the pistol primer will give you earlier warning when you are approaching the pressure limits of the very thin Hornet brass.

Hornet shooting can be addictive. I now own five of the little buggers (including one K-version). They can be both frustrating and rewarding to shoot, but always interesting and easy on your shoulder, ears, and neighbors.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Hornet is not about velocity, so I look for the powder that most often yields the most consistent performance. AA1680 seems to most often represent the best choice.

Stonie & I share the same opinion on this issue and there's alot of truth in his words as applied to a 22 Hornet.

The 30, 33 & 35 grain modern pills have altered the parameters somewhat but don't forget that day-in/day-out the 40, 45 & 46 grain bullets normally deliver their best performance at @ 2550-26500 fps in the Hornet. Opinions vary.

I've had lots of success with Remington 6 1/2 primers, AA-1680 (first choice) and WW-296 also.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.
I installed a scope last night, bore sighted, and took it to my range today.
I was shooting cheap Privi Partisan factory loads, about $19 for a box of fifty from Graf's. They are 45gr spitzers. In spite of it blowing to beat hell, I was able to print two five shot, MOA groups at 200 yards. As a starting point, not bad!
I've ordered a supply of 40gr Vmax bullets, and bought a pound of Lil Gun for starters, but will likely try AA1680 as well. I also have ordered a Rifle Basix trigger. I put one of these on a 77/44 a few years back, and it was well worth the money.
AT least I know the rifle is a shooter, now it's up to me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty; I have the same Ruger rifle K77/22-VHZ.
I installed the Rifle Basix replacment trigger, it made a nice different in my group size.
One point I want to emphasize is the trick mentioned by poster FAT_Albert, that is to put a washer over the cartridge case so the Lee collet die will only sizes the upper 3/4 to 2/3 of the case neck.
Don't push the case shoulder back at all with a FL sizer die until you have to.
The small band of unsized case neck really helps centre the cartridge in the loose Ruger chamber.
Use small pistol primers or Rem 6 1/2 primers, see Speer manual #14 Hornet data and Hodgdons annuals.
Don't chrono light bullets like the Hornady 35 gr Vmax with L'll Gun powder or you'll go nuts looking at the extreme spread stats. Use H110 with those light weight bullets and save the L'll Gun powder for the 45 gr + bullet weights. I like the Sierra 45 gr Hornet Bullet with L'll Gum or 1680 as the heavier bullets retain more velocity at the longer ranges. I load them long so they'll just fit and cycle through the rotary magazine and be as close to the rifling as possible I also us a Lee Factory Crimp die to increase bullet pull effort on the thin case neck, this help L'll Gun with the extreme spread issue. Good luck with your new rifle the Hornet cartridge is super fun to work with.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update. I had a chance to fire some Hornady factory 35gr Vmax rounds while at my cabin last week. I fired a five shot group at 100 yards. Four were through a ragged hole the size of my pinkie nail, with the "flyer" about a half inch high. The rifle is a keeper. A Rifle Basix trigger was a huge improvement, and a snap to install.
I've ordered a case of ammo, and the Hornady empties will start my reloading later.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Oh why, oh why did I have to see this thread?
Had an old Savage Hornet that had been someone's truck gun with a 3/4-inch diameter scope on it, and while it was fun to shoot, it wasn't terribly accurate. I've been tempted to try another Hornet -- probably a CZ, as I have heard some of the Rugers shoot and some don't.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty: Those little 35 grain VMaxes can exhibit unexpected accuracy. Of course, the wind blows them around pretty badly, but if you're lucky enough to catch a still day they can do exceedingly well. Their terminal performance is astounding on small varmints. I used some downloaded to around 2400 fps that would still blow a prairie dog half into.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
I've mentioned many times before that I get 2740fps with unsized cases and 55gr spire point spitzers with great accuracy out to 160m and beyond (if the wind allows). Neck sizing works too and is simpler. I use 13.7gr Lil'Gun, heavily compressed with a Fed small rifle primer but it must be with R-P cases and an oversize chamber. I think 50gr Sierra's with a little more powder would be optimum for the hornet - I haven't tried since 55gr spire points are cheaper. The heavier bullet and compressed powder charge helps the powder to burn well and I do seem to get consistent velocities going by the bullet drop.

I've estimated that a 50gr bullet will do 3000fps with ± 27mm of line of sight out to 185m if zeroed at 160m. Translating, that would be ± 1 1/16" of line of sight out to 202yds when zeroed to 175yds. That's with my high scope mount. That's according to a ballistics calculator I used and I might be over-estimating the velocity but even so, it does have a pretty good performance potential with Lil'Gun.

Mine is an Anschutz with 222 Remington strength.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I have used and owned 3 different Hornet's and even though I killed a deer with a Hornet, it is limited in what it can do.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on Lil'gun. My hornet is a custom rifle built on a Kimber model 82 action with a Krieger 24" barrel. My load is 12 gr of Lilgun over Federal small rifle primers behind 45gr Hornady Hornet bullets. I have to seat the bullet out a little but the load is extremely accurate. I can get as much as 6ofps extreme spread but since this is basically a 200 yd rifle it really dose'nt matter. Average velocity is 2940 fps. Hands down this is my favorite rifle and a ball to shoot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PS according to the ballistics calculator this load is traveling just over 2000 fps at 200 yds. More than enough for most varmints. It starts to drop pretty quickly after that, however.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
try 296 and and a 45 gr nosler. shoots fine out of my mod. 70

posted Hide Post
Lilgun is where it's at in the 22 Hornet. Can't overcharge a case, nice and clean burning and better velocities than pretty much anything else. If your gun's magazine will fit it, or you don't have a problem with single loading, the 40gr Vmax gives excellent accuracy and good expansion (no fragmentation) at hornet velocities. The 35gr Vmax is a close second. I used CCI pistol primers and neck sized only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a NEF quite a few years back and had it converted to a K. I know, I know... all I wanted to say was that it shoots the 55-grain Winchesters to one hole at 100 with 10 grains of the now re-introduced AA 2200 powder and small pistol primers. I have no idea of velocity and really don't care; one hole is one hole!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"IF YOU SHOOT IT, THEY WILL COME".

Good groups that is....assuming good rifle, proper loads, and some luck of course.

NRA Patron Member

Posts: 404 | Location: Troy Michigan | Registered: 14 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a NEF quite a few years back and had it converted to a K. I know, I know... all I wanted to say was that it shoots the 55-grain Winchesters to one hole at 100 with 10 grains of the now re-introduced AA 2200 powder and small pistol primers. I have no idea of velocity and really don't care; one hole is one hole!

That is heaven on earth! I'd like a NEF or Rossi single in 22 Hornet. What could be better? One hole groups! Wow! How does it shoot with other loads? Is it just an accurate rifle or is that load THE load?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Oh why, oh why did I have to see this thread?
Had an old Savage Hornet that had been someone's truck gun with a 3/4-inch diameter scope on it, and while it was fun to shoot, it wasn't terribly accurate. I've been tempted to try another Hornet -- probably a CZ, as I have heard some of the Rugers shoot and some don't.

Also had an old Savage Model 340 with a 3/4" scope, infact it was my first .22 Hornet rifle, wish I still had it now. I currently got a Ruger Model 77/.22 Hornet that is accurate, as it is one of their newer ones with the silver colored bolt. The ones with the blued bolts were't as accurate for some reason.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two or so years ago, bought an early model Australian martini cadet rifle that had a barrel chambered in an early centerfire 22 cal black powder cartridge. Bore of barrel was useless.

So, had a local gent, a retired machinist who has done gunsmithing on the side for over 40 years rebarrel the rifle in 22 Hornet. LOL, took me awhile to convince him I wouldn't sell the action to him.

Anyway, he rebarreled the rifle, making it a 22 hornet. With about 12.1 grains of Lil Gun, small pistol primers and a 45 gr or less bullet, its a darn accurate rifle at 100 yds. This load certainly outshoots the prvi partizan hornet ammo mentioned in earlier posts. But, prvi brass is good for reloading.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was working with a pair of Kimber of Oregon Hornets yesterday. One is a Classic and the other a more recently acquired Custom Classic. Both shoot your choice of 40 grainers in Nosler Ballistic Tips, Hornady V-Max, or Nosler Varmageddon tipped about equally well and much better than Hornets are supposed to shoot any bullet. I've had one-hole groups at 200 yards, although that is something of a fluke with any rifle. Neither rifle ever shoots a group larger than 1/2 MOA unless a gusty wind interferes.

I happened to have some bowling pins stood upright at 380 yards which I sometimes entertain myself by knocking them over with larger varminting rifles. Just for grins I decided to give them a try with the Hornets (both sighted for about 165 yards). Lo and behold, using a pin-high holdover resulted in toppling the first bowling pin I shot at. I found that my percentage of hits ran about 50% at 380 yards. Velocity was about 2750 fps using a case full of AA 1680. Lilgun will yield an average velocity of about 175 fps more, but its velocity spreads are also much greater. I'm going to try some Lilgun loads at this range to see if there is more apparent vertical dispersion due to the wider velocity swings.

But the take-away is this: The Hornet can be exceedingly accurate in a well-built gun with carefully loaded ammunition using quality components. There's nothing inherently wrong with the case that makes it inaccurate or the K-version more accurate; it's in the gun/chamber itself, not in the case design. Not that there's anything wrong with the K-version (I have one of those, too), it's just that some factory Hornet chambers will never be accurate and can only be cured by reconfiguring them.

By the way, I have a couple of BRNO Hornets, also, and they're close to being the "ringers" that the Kimbers are. Their double set triggers will spoil you for precision shooting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine choice, when you get bored with it you can always re-chamber to one of its many wildcat variants, its a wonderful parent case tu2

Posts: 185 | Location: Greenwich, CT | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With Quote