New
Find
Notify
Tools

mini 14
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you think of the mini 14 ? I am wanting to trade my encore for one.Are they dependable,how accurate are they? I want to put a scope on it,I dont want to put a scope on my AR so this is why I ask. Thanks

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ty:

Forget the mini. I've owned several. Accuracy? about "minute of pie plate" at 100 yards. Accuracy Rifle Systems makes a barrel shroud which might get you down to an inch [and that is an iffy proposition]. If you want to make a mini shoot, you've got to have it rebarreled by one of the several business who specialize in accurizing them. By the time you've spent the money, you'd be better ahead with an AR-15. If you really must have a mini-garand action, then go for the mini, but it is essentially useless as a hunting weapon on anything but dog size critters---and on those its good to only about 150 yards for reliable hits.

Jordan

Posts: 3478 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You have to take the mini for what it is a very reliable simi auto. That most of the time will give you 2 inch groups with milltary ball ammo. I have had some do 1.5 shot a few sub 1 inch groups useing match bullets. avg around 2 inchs at 100. It is not a bolt gun but than a bolt gun well not shoot 20 to 30 rounds as fast.I am talking scoped ranch rifles.

They are a good simi auto that keeps on shooting and shooting.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As "p dog shooter" said they are a very reliable semi-auto rifle whose accuracy is not great but can be made so. The one I use for a duty rifle will now shoot MOA after getting it back from A.R.S.. Restocked it is now just what I wanted in a duty rifle. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wish I had one right now...........you have no idea how fast I would trade you for your Encore. Does light speed get to ya ........

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Minis can be "smithed" to give very good accuracy. I have done several of them.
You glass bed like You would an M1-A or M-14, and stone the trigger for a good crisp 3 pound pull. The real trick is to lap the bore. I have done several "accuracy jobs" on minis, and I have made them all shoot about MOA, and 2 of them shot about 5/8" They are very reliable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info,I think you talked me out of getting one .I think I would be better off getting a flattop upper for my AR.

Posts: 145 | Location: Haines Oregon | Registered: 15 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Bought one 4 years ago. Shot A LOT of round in it, and never hit much. Traded it in December for a down payment on an engagement ring. MUCH better investment!

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You just don't know how much that ring is really going to cost you.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I've owned two. The first was a 180 series and I had no experience with peepsites. I sold it and got a 181 series with a scope. Mine shoots incredibly well by all the bashing of them I've heard! From a cold barrel I can hit a quarter at fifty yards. Have one with a hole in it and a friend who saw it happen. It's no bench gun and I admit it isn't great for ground squirrels at long range but you won't miss a coyote, rabbit, or any other vermin you would normally need it for.
Mine only jams if the scope mount or turret interfere with ejecting the spent case. I solved most of this problem by cutting off the base at an angle.
I wouldn't trade mine for anything! It has accounted for more dead coyotes than all my other guns put together!
If you want a rifle for dragging around with you in the truck this is a great little rifle!!!

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to mount a scope on a Mini-14 buy a ranch rifles. The add-on scope mounts for std mini-14s are junk. Mini-14's are generaly nowhere near as accurate as a AR-15 but are very reliable. They have a different feel while shooting, I prefer their feel (if not their accuracy) to an AR and I don't care for the spring sound next to my cheek on the AR.......Of course that hasn't kept me from owning 5 AR's for their accuracy......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote