New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modern 6.5x55
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any 6.5x55 rifles currently in production ? Bolt or single shot. If not currently, then who recently ?(20 years)

Can't be over $800.

I shoot old Swedes now & would love a modern rifle in same caliber

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look for a Remington Classic in that caliber. Great gun!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
zastava, cz and tikka are the only ones i can come up with for under 800$

Posts: 930 | Location: Norway | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Sako Finnlight Model 85. It has some nice features and really shoots well!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5 X 55 barrel fitted to my Model 70 featherweight and had a switch barrel gun. Costs way less than a new rifle.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boarman- Recent production in this country includes: Ruger MKII, Win. M70 FWT., & the 1994 Rem. Classic. All three are affordable on the used market. Given a choice, I'd probably opt for the M70, as I prefer it's looks & action smoothness. However, I own the Rem. 700 Classic. It is the most accurate out of the box sporting rifle I have ever owned. Factory or handloads, bullet weights from 85 thru 140, any one of 5 or 6 powders; it shoots them all within 1.5 inches. The only other rifle I have ever owned that is so universally accurate is a .308.

In a new gun, you have several choices; 2 from CZ, Tikka, & Sako.

You might also contact a major Ruger distributor like Lipsey (spelling?). Ruger is always doing short runs in one caliber or another.

Good luck in your search. As you already know, this is one of the world's trully great cartridges.

Posts: 70 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Pick up any type of action you like the best and have it rebarreled to a 6.5 x 55... that should come way in under $800.00, especially if you already own a rifle in a caliber you don't shoot much...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Tikka or CZ 550 for that price range.....here's my T3 Tikka w/Leo 6-18 load development scope

Posts: 220 | Location: Utah | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both, the Tikka and the Ruger 77 MKII. the tikka is lighter and easy to carry, but it is SS/SYN and the Ruger is walnut and blue. They both shoot good.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
If you have an Encore, midwayusa.com had a special run of 26" factory TC 6.5x55 barrels made. The price is $266.

Or, for a truly custom #, try matchgrademachine.com. For about $350, you get a rop-notch barrel that will group as well as anything save for the super bench guns. There, you get your choice of contour, finish, twist rate, etc.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thanks for the feedback.

I think I will pursue the Remington Classic. I saw a couple on Gunbroker/Auction Arms recently.

If these are not reseasonably priced, I will strongly consider replacing the barrel on my Ruger MII.

As always, you gentlemen have the best advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
looks like howa is going to make a run of 6.5s as well

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I am eyeing a local 6.5x55 with the full mannlicher stock on a CZ550 Big Grin

Sure is a neat caliber

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked at CZ 550 in a nice Walnut stock at Sportsman's Warehouse for $589. I couldn't find a Tikka T3 6.5 in town although they had plenty of other cal.---lots of wsm's.