THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    75 grn V Max in a .25-06. Anyone using them with good accuracy?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

75 grn V Max in a .25-06. Anyone using them with good accuracy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted
Dear all

As the title says I was wondering if anyone uses them with good accuracy results in their .25-06?

I have a box of them unopened and am looking forward to trying them out.

Just curious how they also perform on live things especially something like foxes or if in the US Coyotes and the like?

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon,

I don't have a 25-06 right now, but, the two I've owned both shot the 75Vmax very well. Especially the Ruger, we used to shoot spent 38 Special cases with it at 100 and 200 yards very consistently.

They were very, very 'effective' on coyotes as well. Population control only, no furs.

I need another 25-06....

Regards,

David

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon, I have seen good accuracy using 49.5-49.7 grains of VARGET behind the 75 grain VMAX in 25-06. Actually took one a bit past that with great accurracy but that is not a load to be tried based on my testing. Varget and the 75's work pretty well in the 25-06. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not tried the 75 V-Max's in a 25-06, but they are my "go-to" bullet in a 250 Savage AI. The accuracy is excellent, better than any bullet I tested in the rifle.
I'm only using heavy bullets in my 25-06; 115's thru 120 grains.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My custom 25-06 (Remington action/Lilja barrel)shoots the 75 grain Hornady V-Max quite well. I have shot any number of 1/2 inch groups using that bullet with either IMR 4831 or H 4350.

They are very devastating on coyotes. I have shot coyotes at ranges from 100 to 500 yards with the 75 V-Max with great results. They do make some pretty nasty holes in the hides, though.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use them almost exclusively in my heavy barrel 25 wssm M70. Velocity is in the 3700 fps range and .5 MOA.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was preparing for my first prairie dog shoot I tried the 75 V-max in my Savage 110fp using IMR4831. In working it up the faster I shot it the better it grouped. When I got to .5 moa at 200yds consistantly I called it "good".
That said, out past 300-350yds The wind starts to slide your shots significantly.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Hoo hoo can't wait boys to work up a load with these and can't wait even more to try them out on foxes hee hee.

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
Also, don't look past N160. I've gotten the best performance and highest velocity with that powder at maximum charges from the Hornady manual.
It's the bomb on vermin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jon,

I have had outstanding results out of a max load of H4350 (58.5g according to hogdon) and the 75g Vmax's seated to an length of 2.7685 to the ogive. I don't shoot the load in my rifle mainly because it loves the 85g Nosler ballistic tips but i sure wouldn't hesitate if i had an abundance of them. According to my load book, i was getting right at 3900 fps out of my Hart 1:10" barrel with groups in the .300-.330" range. Enjoy the acrobatics Smiler

Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
<slancey>
posted
I had the same great results with H4350 using the data on the Hodgdon can. It's the only powder that worked as well as N160.

One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I'll second Varget. My best load is a 75 gr Vmax on top of 49.7 gr of Varget lit by a CCI LR primer. Very good accuracy, very good terminal performance out of my Ruger! I think you will be very happy with these bullets.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amen on the imr 4831 and the 75gr vmax.I had a remington 700 varmit special that shot under half an inch with this combo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:
Dear all

As the title says I was wondering if anyone uses them with good accuracy results in their .25-06?

I have a box of them unopened and am looking forward to trying them out.

Just curious how they also perform on live things especially something like foxes or if in the US Coyotes and the like?

You might want to pick up a box of Sierra's 75 grain HP's and give 'em a try.
Was out load testing this past Tuesday with a 257 Roberts Rifle, and shooting the 75 grain Sierra HP's. Bottom line is, they flat shoot. Had a couple of groups right around 1/2" for 3 shots, at 100 yards. RL-15 was the powder, and the purpose of testing was to see if Winchester Large Rifle primers would shoot well; they do!!
Previously, all I used was Fed 210's, but with the primer shortage, I wanted to use the WLR's to get some mileage out of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only tried them at the range one day in my heavy barrel Sako 75. Shot a great group at 300 yards. It was actually the first time I ever tried shooting at 300 yards with that rifle. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Yep they work in my Mk V too.

Stunning performance. Sub half groups. Haven't chrono'd them yet but I expect they will be fast as I am using a top book load of AA 3100.

Looking forward to using them on fox.

Thanks all.