THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    prvi partizan (PPU) 22-250 / 55 GR. ammo for coyotes ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

prvi partizan (PPU) 22-250 / 55 GR. ammo for coyotes ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody using this ammo for coyotes? Looking at soft point bullet options for short - mid range 22-250 loads for heavy cover / woods hunting . Heard the brass was decent and was going to try to find some. Will probably reload the spent cases with sierra 55 btsp #1365, but was wondering what kind of performance on coyotes people may be getting out of the factory rounds at short - medium ranges.
Appreciate any input you may have to offer.

Thanks,
YB

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about that brand of ammo but if you're gonna be shooting a 55gr bullet at a coyote at nominal 22-250 velocity, you're gonna end up with two holes in the yote. And the exit hole might be impressive.
Back when coyotes were worth skinning, I shot some with a 22-250. And spent some time sewing. I ended up using a .223 with a modest load and SX bullets.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
I don't know anything about that brand of ammo but if you're gonna be shooting a 55gr bullet at a coyote at nominal 22-250 velocity, you're gonna end up with two holes in the yote. And the exit hole might be impressive.
Back when coyotes were worth skinning, I shot some with a 22-250. And spent some time sewing. I ended up using a .223 with a modest load and SX bullets.

Appreciate the input wasbeeman. Guess I should have mentioned that I'm not interested in the fur, just looking for a fairly heavy bullet w/ good shocking power and ability to penetrate heavy bones if need be and produce quick kills.

Thanks,
YB

Posts: 47 | Location: Tidewater, Virginia | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
If you only want to make the kill they are perfectly fine. As was stated they will do pelt damage

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul. Appreciate the input.

YB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Penetration of varmint type projos can vary. Back in the day, we tested about all the conventional .224 projos on woodchucks. The Rem PLHPs (50 and 55 gr) consistently gave the fewest exits on body shots. Usually just a .224" entrance hole - everything pulped inside. We didn't try any of the Blitz-type projos in the Swift and .22-250.

Never tried them on coyotes, but I suspect you could get PLHPs to make entrance holes only, depending on placement, from a .22-250.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yankee Bill, I am hunting yotes over near Brunswick county, and have been using a 223 with 55 grain Remington and hand loaded 60 grain Hornaday, 100 to about 175 meters and it has dropped them fine, most pass through on side shots , head on and find them in the back of the gut. they will mess up some fur, but like you don't care the Farmer wants them controled

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's a projo? You must have a different kind of groundhog where you live. Down here if you hit a groundhog with a HP at nominal 22-250 velocity, you'll string guts for 10 feet.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can tell you that PPU brass is the very best brass in the 9.3x62, its powder (or water) capacity is greater than other brass and it lasts considerably longer..I have only used it it the 9.3x62.

Graff brass is PPU, at least in the 9.3x62 and its cheap and readily available..I pay about $34.00 per hundred for 9.3x62..I think Graff marked brass is all PPU, but that may only apply to the metrics, so contact Graff and Sons for more information.

As to bullets with the 22-250 about any bullet will get the job done and do it a hurry..I usually use the 60 gr. Hornady SP or HP, in the 222, 223 and 22-250. I have also used the 40 gr. Nosler Bal tips, which will break a coyotes shoulder bone and turn his insides to mush, in other words a coyote hit with any decent bullet in a 22-250 is a dead coyote, even with a bad shot such as a gut shot they seem to expire quickly, never have seen one lost so far, and we shoot a lot of them around here..10 to 15 a day is common on a coyote hunt..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
What's a projo? You must have a different kind of groundhog where you live. Down here if you hit a groundhog with a HP at nominal 22-250 velocity, you'll string guts for 10 feet.

Projo = projectile = bullet. Most loads gave full penetration. The PLHPs were the exception, especially the 50 gr 4000+ fps MV Swift. We were close to 4100 fps from the 27" bbl.

0.3 MOA, too. They were every bit as accurate in the 40X as any of the Sierras. We bought them in bulk from Midway back in the '80s - gosh they were cheap back then.

Sam

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SIKA98K
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yankee-Bill:
Anybody using this ammo for coyotes? Looking at soft point bullet options for short - mid range 22-250 loads for heavy cover / woods hunting . Heard the brass was decent and was going to try to find some. Will probably reload the spent cases with sierra 55 btsp #1365, but was wondering what kind of performance on coyotes people may be getting out of the factory rounds at short - medium ranges.
Appreciate any input you may have to offer.

Thanks,
YB
The PPU ammo is pretty decent. We don't have coyotes but a good few foxes have gone to the dark side from using PPU ammo.
Havent chronographed it but it does drop somewhat more than say Winchester SuperX or Federal.
Having said that if you are keeping your shots within 150 yds it wont be a problem.

Posts: 457 | Location: Ireland | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate the additional info Fella's.

quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
Yankee Bill, I am hunting yotes over near Brunswick county, and have been using a 223 with 55 grain Remington and hand loaded 60 grain Hornaday, 100 to about 175 meters and it has dropped them fine, most pass through on side shots , head on and find them in the back of the gut. they will mess up some fur, but like you don't care the Farmer wants them controled

Hi Dave, and thanks for the info. How is the Coyote population over by Brunswick, Co.? I deer hunt a couple of hours west of there in Henry, Co. and that's where I'll likely start hunting Coyotes.

We haven't had any sightings on our leases this year, as far as I know, but some of the guys heard some howling on our land. Some of the locals in the area have seen coyotes on their land as well. They're starting to migrate into that area from the more western parts of the state pretty good now.

I'm down in Tidewater also.

YB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I've never used Privi Partizan in .22-250, I have used the brand in several other calibers. Really good cheap ammo. And the brass is excellent. I wouldn't hesitate to ever use Privi. It's good stuff for the money.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks MD. I'm gonna pick up a couple of boxes as soon as I can find some. Like lots of other ammo it's scarce as Hens teeth right now.
YB