THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Help with 6mm Cartridge & Rifle Selection

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help with 6mm Cartridge & Rifle Selection
 Login/Join

posted
Rifle Guys,

I'm looking to buy a 6mm bolt gun for punching paper and groundhog hunting in northeast Ohio. From looking at the other threads on this forum, I gather that the cartridge choices are:

6X45mm (.223 to .243)

6mm BR Remington

6mm PPC

243 Winchester

6mm Remington

243 WSSM

The 6mm PPC is a very strong candidate because accuracy is very important to me. However, I'm wondering if the 243 WSSM might offer similar accuracy potential with heavier bullets? I would consider this a plus if true. Some will say, if the same accuracy with heavier bullets is the goal, then go with 243 Win. But, from your other posts I'm thinking that 243 Win is definitely not as accurate as the 6mm PPC. (By "heavier bullets" I mean 75 gr. or more.)

In regard to the rifle, I'm thinking Remington 700 varmint or similar. What are your recommendations?

I'd appreciate your comments-help with both the cartridge and rifle. What would you go with and why?

Roger Barker

Posts: 17 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I own A Rem 700 BDL in 6mm REM , groundsquirrels just arent safe . Components are easy to obtain through Midway . My rifle isnt particular about what it eats but I settled on 87 grain Hornady BTHP's . For me it's the better .243 .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of doc-and
posted Hide Post
I like the 6mm Remington. I have 2 at this time. The first being a Remington 700BDL that I've had since about 1977. I've used it for Pdogs & Deer out to about 250yds (my limitations not the guns). The second 6mm I own is less than 6month old It's an TC Encore in stainless. I'm still working loads for it but it looks like it will eat about the same diet as the Rem 700. You need to estabilsh your range/bullet/objective then choose. If your range is limited to 200yds or less you might also consider the 6mmTCU.

Just my 2cents
doc-and

Posts: 87 | Location: Florida | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, given the cartridge choices you list, my pick is an easy one. I grew up shooting the old .244 Remington which is now called the 6mm Remington and it would be my pick of the bunch.

Sure, I imagine a 6mm PPC or a 6mm BR MIGHT outshoot a 6mm Remington, but I am not sure that most people could shoot well enough to tell the difference.

The .243 Winchester will not go as fast as the 6mm Rem and is certainly no more accurate. The 243 Winchester also has a tendancy to shoot out barrels quicker because of the way the powder is funneled down the barrel.

The .243 WSSM is interesting to be sure, but is an unproven cartridge as far as I can tell. I have not even seen one in the gun stores so far.

My own custom made .244 Remington/6mm Remington shoots groups in the quarter of an inch range. How much better can you shoot than that?????

And, I much prefer the Remington varmint rifles to all others. (Given that I can add a Jewell trigger to it.)

But having said all that, any of the cartidges you list would be fun. I even have a 6 X 47 that works well.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger-

I've got a couple 243's that I like just fine, but my favorite cartridge in that bore diameter is the 6mm Rem. I had an older wood stocked Varmint Special that I should never have gotten rid of (one of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever seen...), and currently have a Shilen barreled M700 that is my go-to groundhog gun if there is any wind or range involved.

As for a rifle, mine are all M700's. You may have trouble finding a good 6mm Rem in a factory rig, but don't be afraid of an older VS model if you find one.

As for your other choices, nothing wrong with them. I just don't have first hand experience with them, although I've been contemplating building a 6 BR...

BTW, my hog hunting is in NW PA, so we're shooting the same basic area...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've owned rifles chambered for every cartridge on your list except the new short mag. You say accuracy is important to you. I've shot IBS and NBRSA benchrest matches for over 10 years. The PPC and the BR are going to be the only cartridges on your list that will be shot in registered competetion. In a dual target-groundhog gun I personally feel the 6BR has the edge. Using Lapua brass and a match grade barrel you'll see very little accuracy diffence from a PPC but you'll have a worthwhile velocity gain. I get a chronographed 3350 from mine with 70 gr varmint bullets. And it will still agg. in the .2's. What more will one of the larger cases do than that? I do have 4 .243's. They are lightweight deer rifles. But for accuracy and 400 yd plus groudhog shooting I find it hard to beat the BR. The only drawback to either the PPC or the BR is that you will not find find it offered in a factory off the shelf Remington. I am a fan of Remington rifles. Find yourself a benchrest gunsmith and have him rebarrel and put a good 6BR chamber in a Varmint Special. I think you'll like it.

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a .243Win. and fairly recently added a 6mm Rem. I find very little difference between the two.
Both are very accurate cartridges and any difference will probably be in your barrel diameter or the
quality of your handloads. Both are excellent varmint rounds. I use mine mainly for woodchuck.
Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If punching paper is just casual then the 243 or 6mm Rem will be the path of least resistance.

If serious target shooting is contemplated then a special rifle could be obtained for the specific contest. The bench rest shooters have already spoken. The position target shooters use the lowest capacity cartridges to enhance barrel life and reduce recoil. They use VLD bullets that require faster twists than standard.

Then there is me! I shoot a 6mm Remington International at 200 yds in postition competition. With a modest load the 80 gr Blitz King is optimum in my experiance. Even a .223 works well at that short range however. It's a little harder for them to find the bullet hole sometimes in the pit. Every second or interuption counts.

For someone starting out today and looking at say at "F" matches a 6mm BR with a quick twist would be a right answer that would take pests as well.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just looked over your caliber choices. The 6mm PPC is no doubt the most accurate caliber yet designed.
To get the best out of it you'll probably have to turn necks, and it's strictly a handloading proposition.
The same can be said of the 6x47 and 6x45. I would prefer getting a varmint weight Remington VLS or Savage
112BVSS. You can tune either to be very accurate. You also might check www.benchrest.com
The shop is owned by Bob White, a benchrest competitor in New Jersey. He has a shop full of benchrest rifles,
and is one of the most knowledgeable and fair individuals to deal with. If you've got a question, he's your
man. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only 6mm Remington made by Remington now is the varmint laminated stock model. Ruger makes a lighter gun. I have a 6mm varmint that shoots very well. If you want more options you may want a 243.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Love all these responses. You just can't go wrong with a 6mm bore.

I shoot 243s ( have 6 of them) and one 6mm Remington ( a rebarreled '06). With Varmint weight bullets the 6mm Remington will not give you anything to crow about over the 243. However over 100 grain bullets, the 6mmRem has it all over the 243. The 240 Weatherby won't give you much over the 6mm Remington. My 6mm Remington has the one in 8 twist on a PacNor barrel and is throated out to take the 107 grain Sierras, and the 115 grain Bergers. It is one of my favorite bores, period.

Am looking to add a 6x 45 to my varmint battery. If I was just looking for target shooting, I have to admit I have been impressed with what I have seen in casual competition matches I have participated in, with the 6 BR. I think it is as accurate as the 6PPC is any day. With 107 grain Sierras, and a 1 in 8 twist I have seen some unbelievable groups at 600 yds with that cartridge!

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rifle Guys,

Thanks for all the really helpful info! It sounds like 6mmBR and 6mmRem are the best candidates. The BR is the most accurate and the 6mmRem will cost less. Please quantify these differences for me a little. At say 200 yards, what size group is "on average" achieved with the BR vs. the 6mm Rem with everything else being equal? And, then, what's the difference in price for a Rem 700 VS in 6mmRem vs. the price for one chambered for the 6mmBR?

Thanks again for all your help.

Roger Barker

Posts: 17 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6BR will probably get slightly better groups, on average, in a TOP END rifle. Otherwise, you'll probably not see a meaningful difference in the field.

As to price comparisons, the 6BR is gonna be more, because I don't think you're gonna find it in an off-the-shelf M700. You're looking at a gunsmith bill there for barrel work.

On the other hand, rebarreling isn't really all that much, and if you want upper edge accuracy, that's the way to go, regardless of caliber chosen.

Personally, for hogs, and if budget is a concern, I'd look for a M700 Varmint in 6mm Rem & go with that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey,
You forgot my favorite 6mm!!! 240 Weatherby magnun!! Yeah, I know, lots of drawbacks and expense, but WOW!!! Accurate, FAST and deadly on anything deer sized down. Wanna zap a varmit way out there, or a pronghorn, none of the other 6s are gonna beat this baby.

good luck with your choice,
graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Savage99- Is the 6mm Rem International based on the 22-250 case? If so, would you mind sharing what kind of performance you get out of it? Thanks.