New
Find
Notify
Tools

What game for a 6.5x55
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I found a neat little sporterized Carl Gustaf 6.5x55 Mauser on the used rack of a gun store. I'm wondering, what caliber is this most often used for? Whitetails and pronghorn I guess?

My bolt actions jump from .243 to 8x57, but it almost seems too close to a .243 in capability. On the other hand, that action is so sweet and felt so good.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 / .260 are great deer antelope rounds. In Europe they shoot moose (about the size of out elk) w/ them, although I would want bigger for game above deer size. The 6.5x55 is close to a .270 in the field.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're asking 175, which seems reasonable. It has been drilled and tapped and the barrel has been cut back and recrowned, and has these stupid look thru scope rings on it now. I'll take that crap off if I get it, maybe put on a rear peep sight?

Although if it shoots like a 270 maybe it does need a scope.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x55 is or was used as an Olympic cartridge so that will give you some idea of it's capability. I would have no qualms about using it on Black Bear or Moose sized critters. Grizz is another question and I don't have the experience to comment on Elk! Sounds like a dandy little rifle. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a neat little sporterized 6.5x55 I picked up at a gun show years ago. I have used it here in Alaska on Caribou on a Tyone river hunt. It worked really well with Nosler 140 gr Partitions. I've also let a friend use it on deer hunts in Georgia with great success. Fun round to use and load for, although load up from minimum loads very carefully!!!

Posts: 9 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If It can't eat you, I think the 6.5 x 55 is plenty of rifle.

I believe in shot placement more so than anything else, and the light recoil of the Swede helps that dramatically.

Those 6.5 bore bullets also penetrate like crazy.

There was an old article I keep on the 6.5 x 55 in some gun mag from 1993, that started out " How would you like to find a rifle, that had the recoil of a 257 Roberts, the penetration capability of a 7 x 57 and was more accurate and out performed both? Too good to be true? Well it isn't. In fact it has been around us for almost a hundred years! It is called the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser"

I think that is a pretty good sumnation of the round and the rifle you saw evidently speaks for itself. For $175.00, that is less than a mediocre rifle scope.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

They're asking 175, which seems reasonable. It has been drilled and tapped and the barrel has been cut back and recrowned, and has these stupid look thru scope rings on it now. I'll take that crap off if I get it, maybe put on a rear peep sight?

Although if it shoots like a 270 maybe it does need a scope.

Bolt handle been bent and a low swing safety fitted? If so, it's worth the $175 although I would offer $150 on general principles. You ain't likely to find a better low cost truck gun. Fitted with a peep, it would make a fine bad weather spare.

The three or four I have had all shot very well. Carl Gustaff could flat build a rifle.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington Classic in 6.5x55 and took a moose with it last year using a 160gr Sierra Semi- Pointed bullet. It's quite potent, and plays merry old hell with the animals boiler room. A moose isn't that hard to kill. He's simply big. I don't know that I'd want to use it on grizzly bears, but that's not going to happen anyway. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Well, the Swedes and Norwegians killed a whole lot of polar bears with the 6.5X55, generally with the 160-grain roundnose softpoint bullets. If you use the 140-grain Nosler partitons in it, it is plenty adequate for game up to elk and moose. With the 120 and 125-grain bullets, I have taken some pretty big mulies with the 6.5X55 (Norwegian Krag w/24" barrel...)

one of us
posted Hide Post
$175??? If you don't want to buy it, tell me the name and address of the gun shop....................
The 6.5/.260 IS the all around rifle the .243 wisht it were.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My son and I both hunt whitetail deer with the 6.5X55. He has a model 96 Swedish Mauser sporterized by Kimber a number of years ago. I have a Winchester model 70 Featherweight. Both are great rifles. I handload for both rifles using 125 and 140 grain Nosler Partitions. They give wonderful performance on deer. I would not hesitate to use the 6.5X55 on larger game if the opportunity were to present itself.

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Here in Sweden a large amount of moose is shot with that cartridge each autumn - perhaps about 75000 animals. It is here considerad useable but not optimal for such big game. However, the main difference to bigger cartridges is that the moose will take some steps more before he dies. If the shooter just knows how to place his bullet with the 6,5 Swede, he�ll get his game.

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I use mine here in Australia to hunt pigs and donkeys and can't find fault with it. I use 140gr bullets as I think they kill donkeys better than 120gr. If you don't have one, buy it you won't be sorry.

Posts: 8053 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I have successfully used that cartridge on Mule deer at distances up to 250 yds. It probably is one of the best choices for men, women and youngster for any game in the lower 48. It might even over shadow the 7X57 in the recoil department or rifle weight.The 4175 will be well spent if the rifle can shoot. I really woud recommend at least a 4 power scope on it.roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
Pretty much anything I would run into in the Eastern woods. I love the little Swede but I only want stainless steel hunting guns, and a custom gun to hunt inside 200 yards seems overkill. I've heard a rumor that Tikka offers a light weight, stainless steel, synthetic stocked T3 in 6.5x55.

Do any of you 6.5x55 lovers know for sure about the Tikka, or do you have any other suggestions for a stainless 6.5x55?

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both Sako and Tikka manufactures SS rifles in 6.5x55.

one of us
posted Hide Post
G'day Crazyquick
I have had a cg 6.5x55 96 mauser 22" barell for a decade and I love it. I has a 6x40 scope on weaver over head mounts. The bolt has to be bent to fit. any thing out to 175 - 200 yards and they drop and I use hornady 129gr with 46 gr of 2209. start your loads down low and work them up. Buy it you won't regret it

Cheers
Rosco

Posts: 40 | Location: Tasmania, Australia | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I use mine here in Australia to hunt pigs and donkeys and can't find fault with it. I use 140gr bullets as I think they kill donkeys better than 120gr. If you don't have one, buy it you won't be sorry.

Bakes,
Ya'll hunt Donkeys? Why? and what do yo udo with them after you shoot 'em?

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Everyone goes to his house for a piece of roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably the same thing a lot of hunters from LA say when they shoot them in Oregon,

they take them home and grill them and tell their friends about the Elk they shot in Oregon.

Just kidding ya Bakes. You Aussie's have your heads on straight.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Good one, great answer, lol.

you still have that touch! and way with words.

cheers and good shooting
seafire

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I think the 6.5x55 beats the .243 Win and .250 Savage. Works on deer, hogs and with the 160s for sure on black bear. Also done in some groundhogs, fox, etc. One doesn't NEED anything else but the others are fun.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Did U buy it? roger