THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    257 Roberts – Confidence Restored

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Roberts – Confidence Restored
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello Guys

I need to share this story. I’ve got a bunch of Mauser 98 based hunting rifles, they are all lightweight as our hunting here is mostly all “mountain” style.

Recently I built up a 250 Savage on a Mauser “kurz” action, with nice stock, kreiger barrel etc, . I bedded the wood to metal carefully, as I have done before . . . . but it won’t shoot worth a damm, groups of 3.0” with lots of mainly horizontal stringing. I tried several loads, and have been putting off doing a glass bed job on it, I just don’t like the process – but I know that’s what it needs !!

Some time ago I did a 257 Roberts project on a VZ-33 small ring action, again a very lightweight rifle, slender featherweight style barrel, wood to steel bedding. I shot the rifle a bit but the smith had set it up with a very short throat, so even 100gn projectiles needed seated well into the case. I got other things to do, so set it aside.

Anyhow I have a very much anticipated hunting trip later this week, heading into some of our most mountainous country after Himalayan Tahr. Due to the terrain some shots are up to 400 yards or so, so a rifle capable of a bit of “reach” is essential. A 250 Savage that was only doing 3.0” groups just didn’t seem adequate for game that is considered tough to kill.

So . . . what to do. I dragged out the 257, it’s a nice rifle, just one I’d never really warmed to due to the short throat. A quick visit to another smith and the throat was extended to a accommodate a dummy round based on a 110gn Hornady Interbond seated right out. I took it home and using the 110 grain interbond, worked up starting at 44 grains of H4831. It was still comfortable at 48 grains, which was the max shown in any data I could find (ABOVE 46 grains IS A +P LOAD – APPROACH WITH CAUTION) but there were signs that pressure was “getting up there”.

I headed off to the range with some rounds at 48 grains and a bunch at 47 grains. Started shooting, at 100 metres (110 yards) from my portable bench, using a field style hold – left hand supporting the forearm between the bag and rifle. First 3 shot group with the 47 grain loads including the clean/cold barrel shot was just under 1.0”. I don’t pause between shots, just bang them off as the wind allows.

Second 3 shot group was 0.60”, and the final 5 shot group was 0.74”. The 48 grain loads didn’t shoot as well but I couldn’t care less by that stage.

After weeks of trying with the 250 to shoot reasonable groups I was really doubting my shooting and load development process so it was very encouraging to find I could still shoot. Now I’m going hunting !!

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I love the Roberts, and a great shooting one like that will be hard to leave at home. beer

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the 257R. Here are some pics of it's handy work the last 2 years.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm happy for you and your Roberts. Mine is one of my go-to whitetail rifles.
You didn't mention your 250 Savage load. Try RL15 and 100gr bullets. Mine loves 36gr RL15 and 100gr Partitions. I tried several cup'n'core bullets but none quite matched the Partitions.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 250 load that shoots great in my Ruger Intl. 37gr of IMR 4350 with a 110gr Accubond, Federal Gold medal match primer. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Tentman, it is only good manners to post pictures of rifles as they are mentioned, especially when they shoot as well as the Roberts does now. Best of hunting luck on the Tahr.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AND, we need pics from your hunt when you get back!!

edited to add: also would be interested to hear how those 110gr Hornady's work on game.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Scott,

That is a pretty rifle!

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote