THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Anyone have experience with the Hornady .257 117 gr. BTSP?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience with the Hornady .257 117 gr. BTSP?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for direct experience with the 117 gr. BTSP when started at 257 Roberts velocities of 2700-2800 fps. I am contemplating their use on white-tail deer and want to know how they will hold together on the closer (under 100 yds) shots. Also still would like good expansion out to 250-300 yds (my self-imposed max range).

I have had great luck on deer with other Hornady bullets in .277 and .308 diameters, but those were all flat-base spire points. I have always stayed away from boat-tail bullets in the past except for the Interbond. I would just go with the Hornady .257 120 HP flat-base but I have heard a few reports indicating that it may be a little too hard for the Roberts.

I just Hornady made a regular plain flat-base Interlock in .257 diameter somewhere between 115-120 grs.

Thanks,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of the_captain
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things, so I loaded them up in my 25-06 this year. Unfortunately, all I was able to shoot was a watermelon. No deer crossed my line of fire, so I am as interested as you in their true performance.

==============================
"I'd love to be the one to disappoint you when I don't fall down" --Fred Durst

Posts: 759 | Location: St Cloud, MN | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark-
That's a great bullet for the Roberts. I've used it, and Sierra's 117 grainer, with great one shot kills on western mulies. I must also say range was considerably further than 100 yards tho, more like 300, so what it will do up close and personal, I don't know. FWIW, I have had very good results with Nosler's 100 grain ballistic tip too.