Find
Notify
Tools

Questions on the 204 Ruger??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
1. Ok what is the main difference between this and the 20 Tactical? Mainly concerned about the difference in case capacity.

2. Does anyone have any reloading data for the 204 Ruger? I do have some data on the 20 tactical. I just do not know how interchangeable they are (data wise that is!)

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a guess on my part but http://www.hornady.com/ just might know a little about it. It's so new I don't even know anybody that's seen one, much less loaded it. Another guess is that there is very little capacity difference between the two.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Hornady and ask for the 204 Ruger reloading data, I did and they mail it to me within a few days.

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Tactical .20, I bought one of the first boxes of .204 I saw to check em out. I disected a cartridge and got 30 grains even of a powder that is identical in appearance to H335. Using H335 I can get 33 grains right to the juncture of the shoulder and neck in an unfired .204 case, using a fired Tact.20 case made from a formed IMI .223 case and loading to the same place I can get 31 grains H335. ( I'm in no way saying that 31grains H335 is a safe load in a Tact.20, it's strictly a capacity comparison).
All that doesn't mean much till I get my hands on the CZ .204 I've got ordered. That still won't tell me a great deal by comparing a factory .204 and a custom Tact.20. Still in all with 2 grains more capacity it should be a screamer. I get 4,250ish out of my 26 inch Pac-Nor with a 33 grain V-Max at pressures that are safe in my rifle (compared to other Tact.20's I hear about mine seems a bit faster than some, though certainly not all).
Big fun.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Ok where can I get a Ruger #1 in SS/Laminated.???

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tactical 20 is, I believe, the 223 case necked down while the .204 is the 222 Magnum case necked down.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
POP, There should be a 77 in one sort of the other, either SS, Laminate or Blue wood, in the shop within the week!! No timeframe on the #1 SS LM!!! Save yourself some trouble and get a BOLT GUN!!!!! Pretty ain't never killed squat!!!(well maybe a couple old cowboys who fell for it!!!)
As far as the case goes, the 204 RUGER resembles a 222MAG AI!!!! It's not a simple "run it through the 222Mag FL die" and you've got it!!! The shoulder is moved forward and the angle is changed!!! I've got a post on some board(GROOVE BULLETS or WILDCATSHOOTING in my persanal gallery) where you can see the different cartridges!! Check it out!! The SAVAGE ought to be here anyday!!!!! Can't wait!! 222MAG and 6x47 were great so take it down one more step!!! How about 3 more steps......17/222MAG??? Probably already been done but I missed it!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post

32 GR. HDY V-MAX (Maximum Loads)

DIA. .204

COL: 2.250"

Varget 29.0C 3798 47,400 PSI

BL-C(2) 30.7 4081 55,500 PSI

H335 28.3 4044 54,800 PSI

H4895 29.0C 3980 51,100 PSI

Benchmark 28.0 4047 57,100 PSI

H322 27.5 4030 56,400 PSI

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am currently shooting a rifle that is chambered for the .17/222 Mag improved, and have always been using a rifle chambered for this case since 1972, when I gave up on the rough .17 Remington barrels.

The cases are made by first passing a .222 Magnum case through a form die, then a .17/222 Magnum full length sizing die, then loading and fireforming in the improved chamber.

The case capacity is about 31.5 grains, and achieves 4,500 fps with the 25 grain bullet, 4,150 fps with the 30 grain bullet, and 3,790 fps with the 37 grain bullet.
Regards, Brian.

Posts: 54 | Location: Oaklands Park. South .A.ustralia | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
GDH and others...Got one in 204 Ruger #1 SS LM!!! Should be here by the 5th of May....I will report on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey POP, If your's isn't going to get there until the 5th of May, I still may beat you to the draw as to being the first to get to the bench!! I'm hoping one of them gets here this week!! I know one thing! It will be definitely more pleasant than the 7mmSTW I just finished putting together and breaking in and R&D'ing today!!! I don't geuss it did too bad though considering it took 3 different powders behind a 150Sierra MK and the largest group(average for 2 groups with each powder) was .496!!! Just such an unpleasant SOB to shoot!!!! GHD

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hey POP, If your's isn't going to get there until the 5th of May, I still may beat you to the draw as to being the first to get to the bench!! I'm hoping one of them gets here this week!! I know one thing! It will be definitely more pleasant than the 7mmSTW I just finished putting together and breaking in and R&D'ing today!!! I don't geuss it did too bad though considering it took 3 different powders behind a 150Sierra MK and the largest group(average for 2 groups with each powder) was .496!!! Just such an unpleasant SOB to shoot!!!! GHD

You better report on it .... Actually that would be better. You can do all the R&D for me .

BTW I am e-mailing you something for it! Enjoy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
POP, Thanks for the email!!!! Have filed it for later use since the darn gun didn't ship yet!!!! Distributor said, "No it's not here yet!!!" Checked "AccuSport" this PM about 3:40EDT and they were showing "0" in stock 204's east or west!!! They did have 15 sets of Hornady reloading dies though!!! Maybe tomorrow!!! GHD

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
GDH... I have everything but the rifle! No brass other than the factory stuff that is!