THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    My cheap 6.5x55 Swede project is coming along. Now with photos!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My cheap 6.5x55 Swede project is coming along. Now with photos!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted
Well awhile back I picked up a real cheap "Swede" that had been "kimber" sporterized, it came with a nickel plated reciever and bottom metal and re-contoured military barrel and a "ramline" synthetic stock. I had a Timney trigger and a speedlock kit that converts it to cock on open installed as well as a new bolt handle. I filled the stock voids with foam to keep it light then glass bedded it and put mounts, rings and an inexpensive "sightron" 3-9 scope on it all of which I had in excess laying around here. I then set about to find a load that it likes so I bought a mess of cheap Rem 140 grain core lokts in bulk and tried 5 different powders with 3 loads for each powder in it. So far the favorite by a long shot is the load of 39 grains of IMR-4064 that ended up shooting a 3 shot 100 yard group that measures .280" center to center. I thought I was doing well with the Varget groups that were coming in around an inch but then this beauty shows up!
I didn't have these expectations for accuracy as the bore was a bit "dark" so I thought that a 1" to 1.25" shooter would have been lofty goals considering.

All in all the rifle has been great entertainment as a project and has met my goal as a "on the cheap" real deal Mauser shooter.
It was also my first synthetic glass bedding job and only my second bedding job total.
I still need to try my hand at home blueing the bolt handle and body as well as the cocking piece, that should just about finish it.
Next step is to work up a 120 grain core lokt load for it too.
If my camera didn't need batteries I'd post a picture of the little beast but for now you can just try to picture it!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which Swede did you pick for a baseline? Buy batteries - we need pics.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Jay I found it on Gunbroker and it was a military rifle sporterized by an outfit who had Kimbers name for awhile, I believe it started off as a Carl Gustavs.
I have another 6.5 that is soon to be a 257 Roberts that started off as a Husqvarna Sporter. Solid left side reciever and began life as an 8x57 sporter in the early 40's, then someone rebarrled with a military 6.5 barrel. This one will not be so cheap by the time I'm done with it.
I won't be in town till Monday for the rechargeable batteries, sorry.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 46-48gr of reloder 19 for the 120gr corelokts.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H4350 works very well in my Swedes with the 120gn and 140gn bullets
try some sierras or hornadys my rifle doesn't shoot the remington very well you are real lucky to have a rifle that groups like that with such cheap bullets defenitly one to hang on to

Posts: 249 | Location: Australia | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post

Thought I'd post the photos for the skeptics and Swede fans alike!
Please note I erroneously listed the load as IMR-4350 it actually is 39 grains of IMR-4064. Wish I could photoshop that out but I'm incapable.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Snell

Very nice setup. I'm reloading some 140gr today. I'm gonna try 4064 and 4350 too.

Rich

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote