New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 X 284 vs. 6.5 Ackley
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm having a 700 Rem rebuilt with either the 6.5 x 284 or 6.5 Ackley. It doesn't appear that there is much difference between them, the Ackley being a little faster. Is there any other reason that I should pick one over the other?

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
possibly , if you want or need factory ammo, the 6.5x284 being a factory round now I understand ... But the 6.5 06 Ackley may well feed better ????.. Welcome to the forums Road Dog !!!!

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure like being able to buy brass for the 6.5x284 instead of fireforming and mine is on a win action feeds great.

The 30-06 has a bigger case capacity than the 284 case and if you Ackley the case you again increase case capacity. For me I want to look at how much more powder for the gain in velocity over the 6.5x284 case. I took the Nolser 280AI case and necked it up to 30 cal was a fun project was even thinking of necking the 280AI case down to 6.5.

It's hard to beat the 6.5x284 IMHO.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm leaning toward the 6.5-284 myself. I probably wouldn't notice any difference in performance, according to the gunsmith.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.260AI dies may be kind of hard to come by. A quick search at Midway, RCBS, Redding and Lee didn't yield any results. I would like to know if you're able to find them anywhere.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 837 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Redding carries 260AI dies, they just don't list them as available.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got both and if I had to do it again, I think I'd stick with the simple 6.5-06. The fireforming thing was fun for a while, but it is just ok. The 6.5-284 doesn't do anything the 6.5-06 can't do and you can always switch back to whatever you want on the '06 case. I also puke at paying $1 per piece of brass.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to butt in, but in another thread on here, I'm talking about building a .264 Win on a M70 .300 Win action. Is the 6.5-284 something I should consider as well? I'm trying to keep the action work down to a minimum, and thought the .284 called for a short action.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe headstamped brass is available for both. The 6.5-284 you can get from Norma or Nosler. Problem being, I believe they're different specs, as the 6.5-284 Win and 6.5-284 Norma, are slightly different. I do believe 6.5-06 brass can be had from Quality Cartridge properly stamped and ready to go, if you care about such things. However, either way, 30-06/25-06/270/280 brass is all a hell of a lot cheaper then any .284 win brass. And if you are just using plain .284 brass, Winchester only makes it in batches, not constantly so it may be hard to find at certain times.

Performance, its 6 to 1, half a dozen to another, they're basically the same, use the same bolt face IIRC, and the same length action *shrug* (you CAN do the 284 on a short action, but you end up losing a lot of capacity with longer bullets, which is the whole benefit of using 6.5mm bullets in the first place)

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IF I had to choose I'd simply go with a plain old 6.5-06

But MAKING brass, while time consuming, is FAR cheaper than buying the expensive properly headstamped 6.5x284 stuff

And yeah the 6.5-06 Ackley will almost certainly feed more reliably in an action that started life as an xx-'06/270/280

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
I also puke at paying $1 per piece of brass.

0.78 cents per piece for Norma at Accuflite.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PostDriver:
Is the 6.5-284 something I should consider as well?
Absolutely.

quote:
Originally posted by PostDriver: I'm trying to keep the action work down to a minimum, and thought the .284 called for a short action.

NO. The 6.5x284 is a 3.10 OAL round. Short actions are 2.80. The 6.5x284 works best with long action.

You want to see a video of a 6.5x284 launching a 140 Berger VLD kill a bull elk at 925 yards? I'm not saying it is ethical, nor am I saying I support it, but it worked just fine.

You'll see the kill in the first 40 seconds

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns