THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    1st Experience with a .257 Wthby

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1st Experience with a .257 Wthby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tonight I shot my new barrel chambered in .257 Wthby, which was my 1st experiece shooting a 1/4 bore. I was shooting factory Wthby ammo with 120 grain partitions. All I can say is flat and the recoil in my rifle is equivalent to a .270 Win and probably slightly less. Thanks for the recommendation. I do have have some 100 grain Barnes triple shocks on order. I am expecting even better results with these. I'm sure this will make a fine deer size caliber.

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Posts: 410 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 12 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a nifty caliber, isn't it?? Pleasant to shoot, and flat as anything. It is a bit hard on barrels, but if you take it easy that should not be too much of a problem. Good choice the 100 grs TSX - the perfect bullet for the .257 Wby, as far as I'm concerned.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
This is a 1/4 bore manuacturers have been trying to catch up to since 1944!!!

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Caliber! 257 WBY. I have one also.I don't shoot Barnes bullets too much copper.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You just cannot go wrong with the .257 Weatherby!!!
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like that 100 grain TSX too ! I shoot it in a Roberts now but i will ahve a 26 inch 25,06 to try it in soon ! I also want to try the 110 grain nosler accubond and bet it would be sweet in th Weatherby...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas Jones: How is the copper build up in your 257's barrel shooting those TSX bullets.
Thanks!

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I really like my .257 Wby.

thumb

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had best luck with Sierra 117 gr Boattail

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jro45---for what it is worth I used to have the exact feeling about Barnes.

However since they brought out the TX my feelings about Barnes has done a 360. For hunting it is the only bullet I use anymore.

I've shot their TX in a bunch of different rifles and cal's, and am here to tell you that if someone try's to tell you that that bullet (the TX) copper fouls tubes that they just are not very informed....period.

I'd give the 100 a try in your 257 Wby, I've a couple of buds shooting that combo and they love it.

Good luck

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WyoHunter
posted Hide Post
Great cartridge! Mine's chambered in a Weatherby Mark V Euromark and I have had good results with 100 gr. Nosler Partitions but the bullet for it IMHO is 115 gr. Nosler Partition.
That being said I'll be using 110 gr. Nosler AccuBonds in it this fall since it shoots these well and I was looking to try something different for a change!

Be proud of each and every game animal you kill - big, small or no antlers!
NRA LIFE Member

Posts: 65 | Location: Central Wyoming, USA | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote