New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have no experience with this little round, but have always been interested. I have a guy that wants to sell me a Rem 700 classic in 17 Rem w/ scope (I don't know what brand, forgot to ask) for $450. Is that a good price for this rifle? I've heard allot of things about the 17 like fouling problems and inconsistancy. What your thoughts??? thanks

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have 5x17 cal centerfires including 17 Mach IV, 17/222, 17 Ackley Hornet and over the past 30 years, I can tell you that most of the bullshit that has been written is just that.
Extreme fouling comes from trying to get 12/10ths from the little round. My 17Rem Sako drives a 25gn Hornady at 3980fps with little or no fouling and there is no apparant difference between this "lesser" load and trying to get 4200fps. Accuracy is well under MOA. In the field when shooting rabbits, foxes I have never experienced any exceptional wind drift or premature bullet bust up.
Bullet performance on game is more unpredictable with Hornady's being relatively hard and needing 4000fps to break up. We used to have genuine 17 Rem projectiles that would perform best in the 36-3800fps range.
Lately I have been using the little 20gn V-max in my 17AH at 3700 and it is perfect. Anyone that feels these little guns lack power I usually demonstrate with the 17AH on full size steel chickens at 200m where it will knock them over regularly.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat: First of all I think $450 for a Rem with a scope is probably a fair price in this day and age if the gun is in good condition. I've had 4 17's. Two were Rem, one is a Sako, and I built a custom Mach 4 on a Hart action with a Shilen barrel. I agree with B. A. Wallace that most of what is written is just so much b.s. Mine all shot decent once I got onto them. You HAVE to pay attention to detail on 17's. Small changes make big differences. One of the things that I have done with mine is to shoot moly bullets. The other is to use ball powder whenever possible. I feel that the ball powder meters much more evenly. The moly eliminates any fouling. My Sako 17 Rem shoots around .3-.4 with H414 and 25 gr Hornadays that are moly coated.

Posts: 221 | Location: central Pa. | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Bearcat,

I agree with the posts above concerning accuracy. My Remington 700BDL will also shoot in the .4's,
whenever in hell it feels like it. I find the main problem is with consistency. I may precede or follow
that .4 with a 1.2" group. That looks huge considering the small size of the bullets. I also use the
Hornady 20gr. VMAX and 25gr. HP. I might do well with geting my action glass bedded. My loads
are fine and there are no runout problems with my reloads. I use Wilson NS knock out dies and they're
dead on. I find Varget and IMR4320 work well in this caliber. It's an easy rifle to like, no recoil and fun
to watch your bullets actually strike their target. You'll probably like it, most people do.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the insight, going to inquire about the rifles scopes condition ect. I'll decide from there. Thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK, I found out some more info on the 17 Rem. It was bought from Remington as a barreled action in 17 Rem, so it doesn't have the classic stock. It has a ramline stock on it, and the scope is just a no name 4 X. He has 20 rds of emptys, 20rnds of loaded factory ammo and no dies or accesories. He wants $450.00 for the gun and ammo. What do you guys think??

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Offer $350...

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in .17 Remington, CZ just came out with a new 527 Varmint model in this caliber. I have a .22 Hornet from CZ, and it's a good shooting rifle, and a real bargain for the money. Why don't you see how close $450 gets you to this new CZ? Sounds like you're going to new a new scope anyway...
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
$474 for the CZ 17rem. here. That doesn't include rings unlike the other 527's.

Matt

Posts: 46 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are the rings a special type or can you use leupold, ect rings on them. Also is the new CZ available now?? thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they are available now. The rings are like the Ruger rings and attach directly to the receiver. I think you can get nice ones from Warne, but I am not sure if Leupold or others makes them or not? I would *think* they do.

Matt

Posts: 46 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just order the CZ in 17 Rem, it has a 1-9 twist heavy barrel on it. What weight bullets are you guys getting to stabilize in the 1-9 twist??? Also looking for this gun to be gentle on hides (foxes, bobcats) any particular bullets to get for that??? Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Also looking for this gun to be gentle on hides (foxes, bobcats) any particular bullets to get for that???

25 gr. Berger Match for bobcats and coyotes, on grey fox it's iffy since they're pretty small. I use a reduced load in a .222 Rem for night calling greys.

Posts: 1295 | Location: 3rd Planet from the Sun | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bearcat ...You have a PM

Posts: 42 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bearcat,
Good luck with your CZ. I think you'll be impressed with the workmanship.
I shoot a 700 Classic, 1 in 10" twist. It seems to like 20 grainers best, but your 1 in 9" may like 25 grain bullets better. I've found best accuracy with Starke 20 & 25 grain bullets in my rifle.
I started shooting moly after break-in, and once shot 50 rounds without cleaning at the range with no appreciable loss in accuracy (forgot the cleaning rod that day, duh!).
I've tried Varget, VihtaVuori N-133 and N-140 so far, with best results from Varget. The N-140 didn't work out that well at all, and I just got a pound of H322 to try (for the .222 I just ordered).I use Federal 205M primers.
Welcome to the .17 club, it's a real fun round to shoot!
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the welcome and the info. I just got a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 to put on top of the lil rifle. Hope it all shows up soon!! I have some 25g Bergers on order along with dies, cleaning rod, smaller powder funnel, ect.... I'll post back when I get the barrel broke in and some loads worked up.