Find
Notify
Tools

6mm-22khornet
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted
a pair of weeks ago I've seen a reamer for this caliber, any info on it?
Thank you in advance

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the little calibers

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Steve

I am listening

Tell me more

I am intrigued.....

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you perhaps referring to the 243Hornet? Here is a link with some information about this cartridge.

There are no loads available for the
.243 Hornet

Print Friendly Similar diameter rounds Add Load
What does this round convert to? Compare Add Round to Your Favorites List

Display:
Case Diagram/Image
History/Description
Available Loads

About AmmoGuide Case Diagrams
NOTE: The below shoulder angle is an estimate based on the provided shoulder geometry.

Standard American S.A.E. (in.)
Metric Metric (mm.)

.243 Hornet at AmmoGuide.com
SPECIFICATIONS

Bullet Diameter:
.243 in.

Rifling Twist:
1-in-14.0 in.

Case Capacity (est):
16.3 gr. water

Primer Size:
.175 in.

NOMINAL PERFORMANCE

Bullet Weight:
60 gr

Muzzle Velocity:
2700 fps

Muzzle Energy:
971 ft-lbs

"Easy Link" to this cartridge (copy and paste into emails, forums, etc.):
.243 Hornet - http://ammoguide.com/?catid=630

The .243 Hornet was created by the late Dale Schram in the early-to-mid 1950's by necking up and improving the popular .22 Hornet. It was chambered in a Browning Low Wall, that has not been located since he passed away. All of the dimensions were taken from a sketch found with his rusting chamber reamers, load data, and bullet moulds. Unfortunately, it is impossible to list any load data because the powders he was using is not distinguishable in his records.

Velocities listed in his records are probably fantastic or unsafe (several list what are assume to be cast bullets traveling around the 3000 fps mark!) as a chronograph would not have been accessible to him at the time. 60 grain loads were averaged to come up with a baseline of 2700 fps. According to his records, he at one time had several .244 lead molds, but it is unknown if this is the rifle he was casting for.

Apparently this was a very accurate rifle, as dozens of targets displaying good groups were found with his equipment (though distance to the target was not included). Dale scribbled on one page that he had used this rifle to good effect on deer, turkey, rabbit, squirrel, badger, fox, bobcat, raccoons, prairie dogs, and "many birds" in Kansas.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 22K Hornet, and I have to believe that the round in 6 MM would be pretty anemic. There just isn't that much powder space available, even in the improved case.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Ackley list a 25 Hornet in his Handbook For Shooters And Reloaders , but no mention of a 6mm/243. I can find no other referance in my wildcat library.

Could be that the case capacity is too small for any practical gains over the .22 or K version.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a 6mm Bee would be a better deal.

More meat around the primer to take higher pressures. There are a lot of nice light 6mm bullets these days to make an updated replacement of the 25-20.

If .218 Bee brass is not good for you try .357 Mag or .357 Maximum.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all,
Luckyducker, on the finisher that I saw the profile has a shoulder. for this reason I say 6mm-22K-hornet

bye
Stefano
Waidmannsheil

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are just a lot of wildcatters that have way too much time on their hands, and need to get a job! sofa

A wildcat should have at least some redeeming features other than an just space idea!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote