New
Find
Notify
Tools

218 BEE EXPERIENCES?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just took possession of a Martini Cadet barreled in the Bee and was looking for some input, experiences, loads, etc from the faithful. Any Bee fans out there?
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .218 Bee in a Marlin lever action rifle. The one recommendation I would make is to try the Hornady 45gr Bee bullet. Those bullets perform very well at the modest Bee velocities.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks DuckBoat!
I'll try them.
Walt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i just happen to have a cadet in 218 mashburn bee. Use 40 gr v maxs. while the mashburn bee is a blown out version, they aren't that unsimilar. great gun and round for those 200 yard and less type shots. doesn't even blast out the eardrums. This particular cadet is the most accurate i have.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The one I had loved maximum loads of IMR 4198 under a 45 Sierra bullet. The cadet and the Bee are a great combination. I'm sorry I don't still have mine, so let me know when you get tired of yours. Big Grin

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3843 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BUCKMT:
I just took possession of a Martini Cadet barreled in the Bee and was looking for some input, experiences, loads, etc from the faithful. Any Bee fans out there?
Walt

I have that same rifle in standard 218 Bee, but just got it a month ago so I don't have a lot of loads to share. It does like the 45 grain Hornet bullet and IMR 4227 powder. Off hand, I don't remember how much powder though. But, it is a very SWEEEEET rifle, and the groups I got with it were respectable.
I've been working on loads for Deer rifles, and the Bee will have to wait.
I tried the Bee bullet in two of my Hornets, and it did not shoot well.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys! Yes, the cadet is a neat little rig. Has anyone tried cast bullets, or heavier than the 45gr? I'm thinking turkey load, and don't want the fragmentation of the thin skin bullet.
By the way loud-n-boomer, I don't think I'll be tired of it anytime soon! A friend has one barreled in .38 Special and gawd, is it fun to shoot.
Walt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turkey? Better shoot them in the head if you like to eat'em...butt of the wing works but more often than not you get more breast than you should...

The Bee brings back some old memories, havn't shot it in many years, but did so as a kid, it was a great coyote rifle and it got me several mule deer.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42173 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,
right across the top of the drumsticks, on the broadside bird, is a good shot also, misses the breast (which hangs in front on the standing bird) and I've yet to see one get away with his ass shot off...

I've been using a 25/20 SS in a rolling block and had good success, with cast bullets, one "thump" and no lost meat.
Thanks for the answer!
Walt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once owned a Winchester Model 43 in .218 Bee. Always had good luck with accuracy using either IMR-4198 or IMR-4227 powders along with a 45 grain spitzer bullet. Shot lots of Woodchucks, Crows, and a couple of Fox with it. I loaded it down using SR-4759 powder and this was my Squirrel load. If I were going to build another .218 Bee Rifle, I'd use a 1-in-14" or 12" twist to handle heavier bullets up to 55 grains.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone tried cast bullets, or heavier than the 45gr? I'm thinking turkey load, and don't want the fragmentation of the thin skin bullet.

I use 55gr Hornady SP's in my hornet with a 1-in-16 twist and have used 60gr Hornady SP's too. Both are pretty accurate in my gun. (So are Sierra 55gr SMP's). My most accurate load is a hot 55gr Hornady load with Li'Gun. The performance is similar to a 218 Bee so this would be relevant (around 2700fps).
quote:
.. right across the top of the drumsticks, on the broadside bird, ..
Exactly. thumb
I have shot quite a few turkey using those bullets and have found meat loss to be minimum, even when shot through the breast muscles. The same bullet works wonders on feral goat as well. I have tried 55gr cast bullets and they seemed fine with H4227 but I did not develop those. (No time). Velocity would be in the 2600fps region.

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a '92 in the Bee that has been fitted with a Williams peep sight...

Because of the loading system, it will only work with 'Bee' (ie flatnose projectiles), and for shooting hares and foxes out to about 150yds, it's my preferred rifle.

Can't comment on turkeys, as we don't have them running wild over here, but the little Bee is surprisingky effective. And quiet.

Downside here in Aus is that handloading is mandatory unless you have a healthy bank balance - $90+ for 50 factory ammo gets a bit expensive...

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because of the loading system, it will only work with 'Bee' (ie flatnose projectiles), ...
Aren't those plastic tipped bullets supposed to be good for tubular magazines?

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More to do with how the rounds get fed into the mag - the pointy ones get caught up in the groove between the primer and the primer pocket... makes them a PITA to load quickly. Flat nose bullets slide in easily..

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good stuff, keep it coming. Yes, factory loads are expensive (over here about a dollar per round) but i'm going to try 55 grain jacketed bullets to around 2300-2500 fps.
Walt

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I had a 218 mashburn contender pistol a few years back. As I recall the best results were with Sierra 45 gr sp and AA 1680. I'll have to dig out my data. I tried quite a few bullets and powders.

I'd hoped RL-7 would have done the trick, but it seemed to be just a tad too slow in the bee case. I think you'll find powders that work well in the hornet will also work well in the bee.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Just be careful with Lil'Gun. The larger Bee case will produce more pressure than the hornet with that powder. (Only because Lil'Gun behaves weired in the hornet).

Regards
303Guy

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I must agree that LiL Gun isn't for the Bee case, though with caution... perhaps. The Kimber of Oregon .218 Bee single shot I had many years ago was at it's best with the Winchester 680 ball powder and later the AA 1680. 40 to 45 grain bullets being it's favorite. Woodchucks within 200 yards were in deep trouble.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BUCKMT:
Walt

I also have one in 218Bee. The Win factory 45gr softpoint loads shoot five into about 1.25" @100 yards, but tit will still shot five into under 2" @ 200 yards. It has killed multiple cats and squirrels well in excess of 250 yards with it's 4x Burris mini-scope on it.

Someday when the barrel is shot out, I'll re-bore/re-chamber it to 357 Magnum for a lightweight deer rifle for my youngest son.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I am now shooting a Model 43, 218 Bee, bought it from a guy in Penna. The last 2, 3 shot groups at 100yds, were less than 1/2" each. The load 14.1 IMR4198/40 grain Sierra Hornet. Funny thing is, this is a load I worked up for a Model 65, I used to own. When I got the 43, the only ammo I had lying around were the 4198 loads. Too bad though, now I won't get to spend any time working up a load, LOL!!

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The .218 Bee is a great little caliber,and could probably take care of 85% of my varminting.Buti STILL love the .222 Remington!

Posts: 88 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
I am now shooting a Model 43, 218 Bee, bought it from a guy in Penna. The last 2, 3 shot groups at 100yds, were less than 1/2" each. The load 14.1 IMR4198/40 grain Sierra Hornet. Funny thing is, this is a load I worked up for a Model 65, I used to own. When I got the 43, the only ammo I had lying around were the 4198 loads. Too bad though, now I won't get to spend any time working up a load, LOL!!

Jerry

Congrats, Jerry, on success on your Winchester M-43. I use to have a couple of them in my collection. I used mostly IMR-4227 powder along with 45 grain spitzers in my Bee. GREAT accuracy! Smiler

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My very first centerfire rifle back in 1952 or 53. I traded some junk I had for an old beat Win 92 in 25/20. I pulled the barrel, and replaced it with a new M65 barrel, M64 forestock, and M94 butstock. then traded to a fellow who had an almose new M43 and wanted a lever action. The 43 is still in the family as I gave it to my nephew as his first varment rifle.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote