THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    The chamber on my FN Roberts to 25,06 checks out!

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The chamber on my FN Roberts to 25,06 checks out!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The saga continues of the FN I bought thinking it was a .257 Roberts, Thats what it says on the origional barrel, and I have no reason to think think the dealer i bought it from new any different.
some of you may have read some of my previous posts about it.
anyway The first roberts round I put through it split the case and the shoulder compared closly to the .270 rounds I had with me at the time. So I figured it was a 25,06 with out bennifit of the correct stamping on the barrel.
I had the head space checked today and it is in good spec so shoot it I will.
Loaded up some 117 grain SST hornady a few 110 gr accubonds, and bought a box of 120 grain corelocks, to try. I sure hope it shoots !
I wanted a roberts when I bought it but a good 25,06 will be very usfull . And one advantage since it has been rebored I don't have to worry about trying to find a factory stock, I can go with a accuracy innovations or a Boyds if I want. The currant stock will do temporarlilly but not long term and marking the barrel will only run me 30.00, and i will send a coppy of the recipt to the guy I bought it from. If he is concerned about his reputation he might send me a check...tj3006.

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't get your hopes up with the 120g remington. My savage shot them in 2.5 to 3.5 inches at fifty yards. Hopefully they will do better for you, but if they don't group, don't give up on the rifle.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That first shot must have been one heck of a surprise. I've popped a bunch of primers out the back of '06 cases with loads that are too hot, but never split the case wide open like you.

I've been loading up some 115gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets in my 25-06 with good results. Also use the 75gr V-Max. Sure wish someone made a 100gr varmint slug but most 100 gr slugs are of heavier construction for deer hunting. I've always used H-4831 or H-4831sc for a powder.

The 257 Roberts is a fine round but I had mine rechambered to a 25-06 years ago.

Posts: 139 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already have 1 Roberts and one other 25,06 before I bought the Roberts that was,nt a Roberts. I am taking the FN back to the dealer this weekend and looking into a few custom Roberts that I know of.
I like both rounds alot My 25,06 is a 26 inch with a laminated thumbhole stock and my Currant Roberts is a Ruger RL. Its an Excelent deer rifle but the barrel is short and extreemly thin and after 5 shots it gets so hot you just have to put it away for awhile.
I like the 257eacuse it is so fun and easy to shoot. Acurate and very little blast,
Yet with a good premium bullet it is a helov a killer out to 300 to 350 yards... tj3006

freedom1st