THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    what is your truck/utility gun

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is your truck/utility gun
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I thought this would be a good topic. I always like to hear what other peole carry while out on the farm in loafin around in the woods. I usually have my refurbished enfield no 5 carbine in 303 or a marlin 25 in 22. these are the guns i grab when i just wanna go out and walk around the woods or cruise the property in the jeep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the little darling any longer but one of my favorite "carry guns" for my truck was the M-1 Carbine. Wonderfully short and handy at 36" overall, and I've also used a Marlin .357 carbine at about the same diminsions. Short is good in a pick-up.

For the rest of the time, except when I was actually hunting, I've carried a pistol a great deal. Usually my Ruger auto pistol or a .357 or .45 auto. Anthing within 50 yds was most likely in serious trouble. Pistols take care of most situations if you shoot them enough to stay competent.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always pack my Kimber 10mm as well as a S&W .38 snubnose. My rifle is usually either a .223 or .22-250 Remington model 700. During deer season its my Blaser in 7mm Mag.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger MKII stainless in .223 with a Leupold VXII 4-12.

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of recoilpad
posted Hide Post
My run around the farm rifle is a Ruger Mini 30 with a 20 round clip. Also in the glove box is a S&W 1006 in 10mm.

Posts: 339 | Location: Texas via Louisiana | Registered: 29 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mod. 96 Swede 6.5 -55 that had been sporterized years before my time. Great truck gun....cost me $70 at a gunshow.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What?! Only one!

Here is my short list, which depends on what I am feeling at the moment-

Ruger synthetic 22 Magnum, probably the best knock around gun unless you are in bear country or hunting something specific.

Win M94- good gun for carrying when you aren't planning on shooting anything but want to be able to if the situation arises.

Pistols, either a 22 auto or 1911, again depends on what I feel like.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two, both 788 Remingtons with Douglas premium air guaged match barrels on them and glass and pillar bedded in the their orginal stocks. One chambered in 223 the other in 308. Both shoot .5 MOA or a little less with their favorite loads.

May I be half the man my grandson thinks I am...RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Colt Delta Elite 10mm. This is more of a protection thing. And my .250 Ackley. Just in case I see something that needs shoot'in.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welp theres a old 1940s stevens 5100 sxs 20 ga with a nice custom walnut stock ,took up residense behind the truck seat. A old 870 used to live back there.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Savage 24, of one variety or another...

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually I use two, one in my truck and the other in my shop.
In the truck I carry a Minni Mauser in 223/ 3X9 Luepold.
In my shop(out in the country) I keep a M700 Rem. in 17Rem./3.5X10 Luepold.
Most of the targets are coyotes, badgers, magpies, and wild house cats. Both guns work great.

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77/44 SS, Millett SP1, 300 gr FNFB paperpatch, 18.0 gr Li'l Gun. Anytime, day or night, wet or shine, I ain't skeered. Rides in a scabbard behind the seat.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote