Find
Notify
Tools

Bore break in?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
Reloads are ready and it is about time to crank up the Savage 12BVSS in 22-250 recently bought. I have never shot a high velocity rifle before and wonder if there is anything special tobdo to break in the barrel or just go out and start blasting? I have about 10 different re-loads to try out for accuracy and I magine I'll put arounf 200 rounds threw it the first day unles advised otherwise. Advice of any kind welcome.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always clean the barrel before firing, then clean after every shot for the first ten. After that clean every five until 50 shots later. By clean I mean use bore solvent on first patch then until patches come through clean. Never shoot with oil in the barrel.

Posts: 143 | Location: Australia | Registered: 07 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most shooters use some derivation of robe0280's suggestion. You might also check Pac-Nor's web site. They also have a routine listed there. The idea is to slowly polish the throat area so that the gun will shoot it's best. An added bonus is that it usually makes the gun easier to clean. You might consider doing this on every new barrel.

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote