THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    25-06 with a 19 inch barrel ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 with a 19 inch barrel ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted
I would like to call on the expertise and knowledge of fellow board members.

I have my eyes on a really neat rifle in 25-06- trouble is, it has a 19 inch barrel, which I don't get...I thought the 25-06 needs a 24 inch barrel to get the performance one should out of the caliber (according to what I have read).

Any ideas on the performance of the caliber in a 19 inch barrel- it will have reduced velocity and performance - but to what extent?

I like the rifle itself- workmanship, etc. and would use it to play around with at the range and whitetails- max shot 200 yards when hunting pastures, but most much closer- tree stands in the woods.

Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Well 200 yards and less, it would not make much of a difference at all.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You'd lose probably close to 200 fps going to a 19" barrel though.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
A 19" barrel on a 25-06 seems quite out of place to me, but that's just my opinion. If I were going to have that short of a barrel in a quarter-bore, I'd opt for something like a 250 Savage.

To get the most out of the 25-06, a 24 or even a 26" barrel is what I'd recommend. But if the gun is a bargain and you don't mind a bit of muzzle blast, it will certainly suffice for the 200 yard shooting you mentioned.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
19" 25-06? Sounds like a Sako carbine. I would only do it if you are a collector or you just want the rifle. IMO, the 25-06 likes 24-26 inch barrels. Anything less, you might as well have a 257 Bob or 250 Sav. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell us more about the rifle.

My wife used a 18" barreled Rem Mod 7 in 243 quite a bit.

She shot deer and antelope from 250 to 350 yards with no problems.

That little rifle was very accurate.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Bobby Tomek and Dr. Lou said!! Although the 25-06 is in my opinion "GOD's Chosen Caliber" a 19" barrel would serve no rel purpose other than being an ear-splitting rifle that does not bear out the real attributes of the chambering!! The 257 Roberts or the 250 Savage could come close to approximating the performance of a "super short barreled" 25-06 without the recoil or the noise and performance would not suffer greatly at the 200 yard ranges you will be using the rifle in. The rifle would be pretty much a definitely "one of a kind" as the chambering was made for the longer barrels and slow burning powders. If today's powders had been available way back when the 25-06 was first thought of it would be even more popular that it is today. GHD (Pastor at the Church of GHD and the 25-06) PS:The 243 is not in the same category as the 25-06's!

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it would be like having a 257 roberts i ain't heard no bad about that.
might have some muzzle blast,you could probably fix that with powder selection and bullet weight.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
Yes you all are correct, a Sako Carbine- a neat little rifle. I was told by the seller that it would mimic 257 Roberts performance, which is fine- but I would not be too wild about a big loud muzzle blast- bummer, I otherwise really like the rifle......

Thank you all very much!

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you had a 24" barrel would you load it 4 grains short of powder? Same difference. Will it kill? Hell yes. It's a high powered rifle. Just short of full potential.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think folks get too concerned about short barrels. There's something to be said for the handling characteristics of a carbine and carbines have been chambered for just about every cartridge conceivable.

Yes the .25-06 would be better in a 24" barrel, so what? The .250 Savage has been killing deer and varmints for almost a century now and a short barreled .25-06 will still out perform a 24" .250-3000 and then some.

Have at it. It's a fine way to put venison in the freezer and coyote pelts in the bag for the fur traders.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
19 inch barrel on a 25-06.....silly,....just plain silly.

Posts: 415 | Location: no-central wisconsin | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like it get it. The 25/06, imo, is one of the best. As for the short barrel, the velocity will go down the decibels will go up and it will still drop them in their tracks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would not be too wild about a big loud muzzle blast

Sako is a fine rifle but, IMHO, that thing would give you a whole new perspective on muzzle BLAST! I mean, like painful.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
quote:
I would not be too wild about a big loud muzzle blast

Sako is a fine rifle but, IMHO, that thing would give you a whole new perspective on muzzle BLAST! I mean, like painful.

Agree... my 25-06 was OK in a 24" barrel, mate had one in a 22" and blast was noticeably worse...

I shudder to contemplate the blast from a 19" barrel...

The only reason I'd buy that rifle would be for the action and stock as the base for a great project rifle.

A gun is a tool. A moron is a moron. A moron with a hammer who busts something is still just a moron, it's not a hammer problem. Daniel77

Posts: 1275 | Location: Sydney, New South Wales, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agree... my 25-06 was OK in a 24" barrel, mate had one in a 22" and blast was noticeably worse...

I shudder to contemplate the blast from a 19" barrel...

The only reason I'd buy that rifle would be for the action and stock as the base for a great project rifle.

I agree as well.

Thanks to all for the great information.

Josie Wales 1866

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep the ear plugs handy!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote