THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Help me choose my fiorst and only 22 cf rifle
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me choose my fiorst and only 22 cf rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Savage 14 Classic in .223 with a Leupold 2.5-8X.
Savages come with a 1:9" twist and will stablilize even the 80gr Sierra VLD.

Rich
Hey SS, you wouldnt happen to have that load, would you, that will stabilize them 80s in that 9 twist would ya?

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:
quote:
In my opinion a lot of the cosmetic dislikes tend to fade fast when you start putting all of your shots inside a nickel at 100 yards.

I don't see many choices in purpose built small actions and the new model M1 should address the cosmetic issues. I was just over on Gun Broker and based on all the descriptions these models are changing over night. I need a spread sheet to track all the variations!

I am extremely encouraged by CZ apparent attempt to meet American taste and yours and others performance reports.

I think with a little patience I can have my cake and eat it too Smiler

FS,

Where do you get scope rings? Are they special 527 rings or some standard? And how high is needed to just barely clear the scope for slow single shot shooting?

F B
The last rings I used on a 527 were from Leupold and the were high's. I'm in Canada so where I get my rings will be of no help to you.

If I lived in the USA I would get all of my 527 bolts converted by James Calhoon, then be able to easily use lower rings. I think he charges $47.00. Calhoon also has a nice assortment of rings for these CZ 527 rifles.
FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FS, Thanks. I am still waiting to hear about availability from a dealer. In a few more days I might go back out and around again. If Leupold makes a ring and high will work that a good start. I can probably find those at Cabelas.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are like the rest of us you will own one of each caliber before you are done. My favorite .223 is an early 90's Winchester Sporter Varmint, I traded thru a couple or 3 till I found one that shoots any sub 60 gr ammo very well. Good looking guns that shoot! You see one now and again on G Broker. I bought up 2000+ rounds of Federal 50 gr jhp, in the 200 round boxes from Wally World for .36c per round ! The brass is marked Lake City, must have been an overrun that Fed sold to WalMart. Good stuff and I save all my fire-formed brass for loading later. Last trip to WallyWorld I noticed they had repriced the bulk packs from $54.00 to $78.00 still n OK buy..

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I could not find a good used .223rem Sporter Varmint and wanted to go the new , Made in USA ( but owned by who knows who), and wanted to shoot the heavy for cal bullets instead of stepping up to .243 I would go this route.http://v2.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=168143776
Im hearing good things. Cool

Posts: 129 | Location: SW GA | Registered: 01 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will love the CZ in 223. Use 50 gr tipped for varmints and the 53 gr Barnes for the larger varmints.

You can load down to the hornet loads, even 22 mag if you want.

Have fun!

Posts: 29 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 28 December 2009Reply With Quote