New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Fiberclass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do any of you know if Sako built their Fiberclass in .264 WM?

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I am certain they did not. The Fiberclass was built using the A series actions, which were made from the late 70s/early 80s until 92. All the 264s I have seen used the ealier L61 action. Moreover, most had a 24" bbl and a few (rare) had 26". The earlier version came with a classic, straight comb and no checkering; the later cam with the Hunter stock, which has the monte carlo comb and checkering. The classic was either made by H&S Precision or McMillan; the Hunter was made by McMillan.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, my A III in .264 WM is probably a custom-built “Fiberclass�

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I have never seen one cataloged. Perhaps it was a special run. Did you buy it new? If not, there's a chance that they put a McMillan on later. That's what I have done with one of my L61 264s. Does it have a 24 or 26 in bbl? The AIII is the early transition from L61 to A series; it maintains the short tange of the L61 but uses a new bolt. It must also have the classic stock. Do you want to sell it? Like they say, "you learn something new everyday." Lou

one of us
posted Hide Post
It has a 26-inch barrel and a classic stock. It wasn’t new when I bought it. I also have a 26-inch barrel in .375 H&H, but it was made later. The .375-bbl also has a muzzelbrake. I let you know if I want to sell it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys!

I´m a Fiberclass owner/freak and I have done some research on the Fiberclass model.SAKO may be the best rifles around but it is a jungle to research!!

At first I thought AV actions was the only option for a Fiberclass but I have got a few pictures from catalogs with AI and AII actions as well.

Here is a list with the Actions/Calibers I have found so far:

From a finnish catalog:

L61R
Total length 1100mm
Barrel length 580mm
Weight 3,3 kilos
Calibers 25-06, 6,5x55, 270Win, 7x64, 30-06, 9,3x62

L61R
Total length 1140mm
Barrel length 620mm
Weight 3,65 kilos
Calibers 7mmRemMag, 300WinMag, 300Weath.Mag, 338WinMag, 375H&H

From a Swedish catalogue:

L61R
Total length 1105mm
Barrel length 560mm
Weight 3,3 kilos
Calibers: 25-06, 6x55, 270Win, 7x64, 30-06, 7mmRemMag, 300WinMag

L61R Magnum
Total length 1105mm
Barrel length 560mm
Weight 3,4 kilos
Calibers 338WinMag, 375H&H

From another american catalog:

Calibers:
AI action 22Hornet 222Rem 223 Rem
AIIaction 7mm-08 308Win among others
AV action as above including 280 Rem and 416Rem Mag

I can send two pictures from this American catalog if you want to.

Email me at: jimstaf@losmail.no

I am also interested in buying Fiberclass rifles, stocks, catalogs or anything related to Fiberclass.

Peter you´ve got PM at Slutstykke.com!!

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Sweden, Europe | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
358CPAK, does your stock have a sako recoil pad?
Also, I collect Fiberclass stocks and use them to replace the wood stocks on my other Sakos, or I just by internet specials from mcMillan - unfortunately they don't have the Sako recoil pad. For instance, I just put a Fiberclass stock from a 270 on my 6.5x55. However, I will be searching the world for a Fiberclass in 264. Iam patiently waiting for when you decide to sell yours. :-) Lou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou!

Is it possible to buy original Fiberclass stocks from McMillan?? If so do you know how much they cost?
If I find any SAKO recoil pads I will let you know!!

If you find any Fiberclass stocks you do not want, PLEASE let me know!!!

Best regards!

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got to assume that .358PCAK's gun is either an early L61R placed in a fiberglass stock, or a rebarreled Fiberclass.

I have two Sako .264's, a 24.4" (620 mm) and a 26" (660 mm) barrel. Both are pre-Garcia's with four digit serial numbers. Not only did Sako not chamber the .264 post-L61R, I don't believe that any .264's were ever imported after Garcia took over distribution in 1972 or 1973.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Jimbo, yes it's possible but the same stock that was used on the Fiberclass. The Mcmillans internet specials are about $350. The only difference is the non-Sako recoil pad.

Stonecreek, thanks for the input. I thought I was correct, but I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek, it looks like you were right. A Norwegian sales-agent found out that the rifle is a Finnbear built in 1980. He didn’t know about the chambering, but .264WM is possible…

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm. . . a 1980 model would be what we Americans call a "Garcia" (the North American importer/distributor at the time). Memory fails me, but 1980 is also around the time that Stoeger took over the line from Garcia. At any rate, I don't believe that any "Garcia" era and later rifles were chambered for .264 -- but that doesn't mean that Sako wasn't producing them for the European market at that time.

Does your barrel bear original Sako markings?

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou

I just received an email from McMillan and they said they don´t make Fiberclass stocks anymore. It was even impossible to custom-make them.

So I wonder about the stocks you are buying from McMillan´s internet specials. Is it the McM Classic stock with checkering you have??

Regards

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I am not sure who wrote you from mcMillan, but they still list stocks (Internet Special)for the AV, A1, AII, and L61R. left and right hand, and in both the Hunter and Classic models. The list was updated a couple wweks ago. I didn't see any for the AIII, but the L61R should fit it. The few that I have purchased from McMillan were all the Hunter style with the raised comb and checkering. http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan/specials/sakospc.asp

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou

Thanks for your reply!

It was as I suspected. I am looking for the original Fiberclass stock without checkering and without raised comb.

The original has a straight classic stock with a pebbely texture. Some were smooth as well. I was too indecisive a month ago and missed one.

If I find any original but-pads I will let you know!!

Regards

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Jimbo, I heard that the original classic may have been made by H&S Precision, but I have never confirmed that. Also, I was digging through my safe and found the stock that you're looking for. I would consider a trade for a Fiberclass Hunter style. What style stocks do your Fiberclass Sakos have? Lou

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr Lou:

To my knowledge all Fiberclass stocks were made by McMillan but I´ve also heard rumours about H&S making some of them. But I am not sure.

Mine are black with a pebbely texture. Straight classic with cheekpiece. SAKO rubber but-pad.

They were also made in other colours like white, green, camo and some others.

Some stocks are smooth without the "pebbles". They never had checkering.

If you like, email me your email-adress and I´ll send you some pictures.

jim.staf@losmail.no

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr.Lou!!

Tried to email you but got a reply that said your account is full. Failed to deliver.

Give me another email when all is OK.

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is still a mystery…

First of all, it’s an A III action, then it’s an original Sako- barrel, and third it’s an original recoil pad on a stock that looks like a nice McMillan…

The stock was originally black – as other Fiberclass. It was repainted (unsuccessfully homemade) last year. Next time I’ll visit a pro…

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nifty rifle Peter! I like those Sakos...

OK, you Sako aficionados, what is the difference between a "Fiberclass" stock and McMillan's current "Sako Classic"?? (Apart perhaps from the molded-in checkering)

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
358CPAK, that's definitely a Fiberclass stock and Sako barrel, but that's not an original chambering stamp. Besides the obvious do-it-yourself appearance, it's in the wrong location for that vintage of barrel; the marking should be next to "Sako" on top of the barrel just in front of the receiver - if you had a scope on the rifle it would be difficult to see the stamp. This barrel should also be stamped BOFORS on the right side of the barrel above the stock and in front of the receiver. I believe all the 264s had BOFORS barrels. The Fiberclass stock you have will fit both the L61R and AIII actions. It appears that this rifle may have been cobbled together. Also, all the 264s that I have seen had a front sight and no rear. They used Sako's peep sight that mounted on the rear dovetail. Is there evidence (screw holes) that your barrel had a front sight? Your barrel may have been a 6.5x55 SE that was rechambered.

MHO, The newer McMillan's finish isn't as smooth as the original Fiberclass (see 358 CPAK's picture above)and I believe they may have checkering, but I am not sure; I always buy the the Hunter style, which has checkering and a pebble texture. Lou

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou,

I usually replace the recoil pad on the Sako rifles that I buy. In the future I will save the original pads for you. You can carefully cut off the Pachmayr pad from the internet specials and epoxy on the Sako pad. I would just throw the pads away otherwise.

I buy internet specials in the Sako Hunter pattern. The angle of the Monte Carlo makes it comfortable to use either scope or iron sights.

Another neat trick is to use a McMillan stock as a pattern stock for making a new walnut stock from.

.358PCAK,
That is a nice rifle. Does it kill game like Thor's hammer?

Jimbo#1,
Welcome to the forums.

Stonecreek,
Thanks for all the Sako information over the last two years.
lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, that would be greatly appreciated. I'll be happy to pay S&H. Thanks, Lou

Dr.Louis Pietronave, Chief of Police
Ione Police Department
1 E. Main St.
Ione, CA 95640

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart!

Thanks!

Dr. Lou!

I have contacted the importer of SAKO here in Norway and they will check if it is possible to get original SAKO pads (similar to the Fiberclass) from the factory.
I´ll keep in touch!

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!