THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best .223 bullet wt. for 1 in 9" twist

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best .223 bullet wt. for 1 in 9" twist
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Since we are talking about .223's.....

I have a S&W M&P AR-15 and have loaded some 55gr and 60gr bullets for it. (only cause 55gr is all i can find at times) I've been told that the most accurate bullet wt is anywhere from 60gr to 68gr. Anyone have some good advice for me?

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't"
-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 62 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 69 gr Matchking seems to be the gold standard here-any heavier and it's a crap shoot. I've got a RRA NMA2 with a 1:8 tube and shoot a 60 grain Sierra HP FB for shortline work (out to 200 yards) and there is no noticeable difference in accuracy at this range. I'm currently an NRA Expert, maybe someday when I make Master or better I'll be able to tell the difference...

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting post! I have a CZ527 varmint with a 1:9 twist barrel...

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Bushmaster is a 1:9 and I've never seen the benefit of shooting the heavier bullets. I shot some 69gr Matchkings, but the cost outweighed the benefits..

I've gone to shooting Midsouth Varmint Nightmares Extreme in 50 and 55. They'll shoot 1/2" all day and that's good enough for me.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
My Savage bolt action shoots 30 grainers to 80 grainers just as accurately as the other...

just keep away from the Sierra Blitzs and the Hornady SPSXs....too fragile for that fast of a twist, unless they are launched at a very low velocity...

for heavier bullets I am partial to Hornady's 75 gr BTHP for accuracy...especially with H 322 powder...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Winchester Varmint in 1-9" and so far 55ge NBT and 60gr Horny V-Max are the winners! I swiched from 2015BR to 10X and the gun really likes it.

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've found that most of my 223's seems to prefer the sierra 63 grainer, that said i like the nosler BT 55 best, just that the rifles don't seem to agree with me

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine does well with any bullet between 55-70gr.It just gives you a reason to shoot some more.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Sierra 69-grain Matchking in a 1:9 twist. Favorite powder is 748.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feed my 1 - 9, Savage 68gr Hornady and Varget.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem model 7 with a Shilen 1 in 9 barrel in .223 AI. It shoots 40 gr to 70 gr bullets very accurately but will not stabilize 75 gr Amax bullets. Holes are round but groups open up from a typical under half inch with the other bullets to anywhere from 3 to 6 inch 5 shot groups with the 75 grainers. Varget works best for me for the 60 gr + bullets and Benchmark for the lighter stuff.

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can shoot 55gr well but i can't load them very hot cause my accuracy drops quite a bit

-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

Posts: 62 | Location: Eastern Washington | Registered: 30 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I get roughly 1/2 moa with 50 gr. bulk "MidSouth Extreme" bullets at around 3200 fps. DPMS 20" heavy bull uppper.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that with a 1 in 9" twist barrel??

-Thomas Jefferson

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Remington R-15 with 1-9 and the Nosler 50 grain b-tips and sierra 53 grain hp shoot 1/2 & 3/4 and the Barnes 53 grain TSX will shoot ladybugs. It will also penetrate 14 inches of pig (ribs included)

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote