THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ruger .223 Compact 16.5" Barrel - Bullet Weight

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger .223 Compact 16.5" Barrel - Bullet Weight
 Login/Join

<Highspeed226>
posted
Tried to sight-in a new Ruger M77 MKII .223 Compact with 16.5" barrel with new Leupold 3x9 Compact. Everything tight. Tried 62 Gr. Green Tip (SS109), and Fed. Match 69 gr. BTHP. All groups were horrible. 62 Gr. Key holed at 35 yds. 69 gr. was 10-12" at 100 yds. Prone, bipod, and "locked in". Will try 55 gr. Remington tomorrow. Any suggestions. I believe twist rate is 1 in 12. Ruger doesn't list on website. [Confused]

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I know this isn't a compact but I picked up a Ruger all weather stainless in ,223 earlier this year that shoots 5/8" groups with that cheap Winchester varmint load. 45 grain forty round packs I get at Walmart for $11.00. Maybe try a lighter bullet,

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
Well a good friend of mine had the same troubles as you with that exact rifle. We went to the range at least a dozen different times trying various loads and powders, bedded action, floated barrel and barrel lapped. This gun never shot better than 1.5" - 2" groups. Sorry for the bummer report. Maybe you can get yours to shoot. Its a perfect little gun to pack around on the snowmachine and 4 wheelers to shoot foxes and such. He finally had it rebarreled with a Douglas match grade to the same length and it's a tack driver now. Oh well........good luck.

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
<MontanaMarine>
posted
1-12 twist, try 55gr or lighter.

MM

<Highspeed226>
posted
Thanks for the replies. I confirmed that the twist rate is 1 in 12". Have since learned that this twist will not stabilize the heavier 62 & 69 gr. bullets. I tried the 45 gr. JHP Winchester Varmint loads from Wal-Mart and the lighter bullet made all the difference. Now shooting MOA at 100 yds. 55 gr. also shot fine. Thanks for the help.

<MontanaMarine>
posted
Good deal! Glad to hear she's shooting well now.

MM

<DLS>
posted
I have the M77 MkII R, in 223. So I guess its got a 22" barrel and the best I could get it to shoot is just under 1 1/2". It took alot of reloads and pressure on the barrel at the forearm.

I am Planning on a rebarrel to 17 Rem with it.