Find
Notify
Tools

Stevens mod. 200 info
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
cheersThe 22-250 Stevens Mod.200 as priviously posted was surprisingly accurate.During cleaning after two separate range trips a whole lot of blue kept coming out of the barrel.There were only 6 rounds fired the last time and the copper deposits are substantial.

I guess what this is indicating that the barrels although accurate are rough.FYI beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger, Nice article in the current NRA American Hunter about them.

I noticed it has the Blind Magazine and I particularly like that. Used to be a feature on the M700 "ADLs" too. Just one less way for sand to enter the rifle, makes the stock more rigid and I've never had a problem unloading them.

Do you know if they will ever put that new AccuTrigger on them, or do they intend to keep them on the Savages?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Other than the Acu-triger and the cheaper stock, are there any mechanical diferences in the 200 and Sav 110? I like 110 rifles and buy different barrels to try on them but at the price of a new 200 Stevens I wouldn't bother with used Savage 110's.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just recently aquired a Stevens Model 200 in .223. I used Warne Bases and Rings to mount a 3x9x40mm Nikon Buckmaster Rifle Scope. I have put about 60 rounds through this RIfle so far and have been pleasantly surprise at how well a $259.99 Rifle will shoot.

Before shooting the rifle I cleaned the bore really well. I also found some instructions on another site on how to tune these trigger (ala old style Savage). With a little honing I was able to eliminate the creek in the trigger and was able to adjust it down to 2 pounds quite easily, however I set mine at 2 3/4 pounds for now until everything gets broke in.

I used Ultra Max 55gr. Pointed Soft Point Ammo and a Handload using 55gr. Nosler Ballsitic Tips and Hodgdon's Benchmark. The Ultra Max Commercial Reloads actually shot a little better, but not buy a whole lot. Both loads were printing 5 shot groups at 100 yards of 1" or less with the best group of the day coming in at slightly over 5/8".

No these Rifles are nothing pretty to look at, even though I do like the contrast of the dark grey stock with the dull blue / black metal. There are a lot of molding seams visible on the stock and while this will not effect the functioning of the stock, doesn't look the greatest. I am sure with a little work they could be sanded off smooth.

Larry

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NBHunter:
Other than the Acu-triger and the cheaper stock, are there any mechanical diferences in the 200 and Sav 110? I like 110 rifles and buy different barrels to try on them but at the price of a new 200 Stevens I wouldn't bother with used Savage 110's.

Except for the blind magazine and trigger I understand that the Stevens 200 is the standard Savage action. From what I gather this is an attempt to market a bare bones, good quality hunting rifle at an attractive price. This objective seems to have been achieved in what I consider a true utillitarian type of hunting rifle. Any bells and whistles will carry the name Savage. That, I understand, goes for the accutrigger also.

A little side note: Yesterday I was shooting my .243 Ruger and my buddy was shooting his Stevens 200 in .243.We found that the Ruger has a good bit more throat than the Stevens. My Stevens 22-250 also has a minimum length throat and a tight chamber (not under size). It does not do well so far stabilizing 60 gr. bullets. The free floating barrel had a minor obstruction from the forward sling stud and nut which now have been removed.

Currently in the works is an attemt to acquire a .250-3000 barrel and a 6.5 barrel for the Mod. 200. The 6.5 will be a wild cat to handle heavy for caliber bullets with a little more poop than the 250-3000 but not as much as the .260.

The seams and extruding plastic tites are for the most part removed in preparation for some artistic painted scenes and camoflodge.During the stock painting the trigger will get some attention. Fun project at a modest outlay of cash. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While not a mechanical difference, the new Stevens has the same round top receiver front and back as the current Savage line, rather than the old flat top/ round top action of the older receivers.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks Roger
My current Savages have blind mags and old style triger so it'll just fit right in with the rest. My 116fss in .338WM/.416 Taylor has one of the best triggers after a bit of tweeking and the one on my .220Swift/.270Win. catches many people off guard who go to shoot that cruncky old "Savage Trigger" and suprise!. One guy was at the range with a mini14 and asked to try my swift. He just got the gun lined up and went to take up the slack when bang! the round landed about 2 feet off from the golf balls. He looked at me and goes "Wow, thats a lot different trigger than mine". I certainly hope so 'eh. The original trigers can work, you just have to take your time with them.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedOf some note; the Shooting Times just did a review on the Stevens 200. The internal box magazine and spring that was in the rifle Savage supplied them was far different from the one I bought.They show a captive rectangular coil spring. My Mod. 200 had an uncaptive W leaf spring. Probably contributed to the magazine feed problem I had.

There is still a substantial amount of fouling coming out of the barrel both black and blue.roger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic of my stevens 25-06 that I redid the stock on.looks a little different.

Posts: 227 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesReally nice paint job. You must have long arms to have your scope mounted that far forward. beerroger

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
I have a Savage 110 that needed a new barrel. I slapped on a new take off from a newer Savage and it is a copper fouling monster too. You can see the copper in the sunlight at the muzzle. I tried Sweets, and everything else and it won't get it all out. But...the guns shoots sub MOA anyway, so you take the good with the bad.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
machinistbutler,

I like that stock. What did you do too it. Materials?

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Nice bear too.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just removed the stock,triggergaurd and butt pad,degreased it.Put about 6 coats of krylon fusion satin black plastic paint.Let that dry and then sprayed that webbing silver spray into the air and let it fall on the stock,makes even goofier patterns when held close to the stock.Then I put about 10 coats of satin clear coat by krylon.This paint is supposed to be quite tough after one week of drying.It can be handled after one hour and successive coats can be applied in minutes.Easy to do and I didn't really like the look of the grey stock with all the damned mold lines.Scraped them off first..Has a nice "feel" to it now as well.Fifteen bucks canadian for a little different look.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Machinistbutler, excellent work on the stock.

That webbing silver spray just about looks white, a great effect.

Do you have the Krylon can numbers that you used as there are too many types of black and clear.

Cheers.

Posts: 91 | Location: Brisbane, Australia. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

Did Bartsche (Roger?) write that article??

Sorry if this is common knowledge. If so, do your good deed for the day, help an ignorant foreigner... Wink

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

Did Bartsche (Roger?) write that article??...
Hey Mho, Not unless he goes by a Pen Name of Aaron Carter. I can see that the way I structured that sentence(or piece of one) makes it look as if I was complimenting Roger on that article. But, that is probably wrong.

Mr. Carter's article also has a right nice picture of the rifle taken from about a 45deg angle off to the right side of the Recoil Pad forward to catch the Bolt Handle, Trigger, Rear of the Bolt, all the visible Receiver, Barrel Nut and a portion of the Barrel. Even the Bluing looks particularly shiny and bright from the way it is illuminated.

Nice looking rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of acsteele
posted Hide Post
Hey Roger, (or whoever knows) I've been thinking about on of these Stevens rifles, say .223 or .22-250 (since I don't have one of these bolt action go-fasters)
Midway has a Rifle Basix trigger on sale for the Savage 10 and 110. will it fit the Stevens? It's a 1 to 3# which sounds like a big improvment over the sotck trigger, and I believe it's a drop in (we have no gunsmiths to work over a stock trigger around here)

Lt. Robert J. Dole, 10th Mountain, Italy.

Posts: 609 | Location: South-central KS | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DOC 1972, I have the cans at work.,Will write them down tomorrow and post tomorrow night if I do not forget..I know the black said satin black,satin on the cap.The clear was a slightly smaller can that is a type of sealer for krylon paints .The silver does appear white until you look close at it.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Big GrinNice article in Shooting Times this month also. I didn't write that one either. animalroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
Darn Bartsche, and here I was thinking you were a regular celebrity... Smiler Thanks to you and Hot Core for clearing this up.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey machinistbutler, That is indeed a fine looking paint job.

You mentioned that it, "Has a nice "feel" to it now as well." Do you mean the Krylon paint allows you to get a better "grip" than before?

Great Beat hide!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
cheersThe 22-250 Stevens Mod.200 as priviously posted was surprisingly accurate.During cleaning after two separate range trips a whole lot of blue kept coming out of the barrel.There were only 6 rounds fired the last time and the copper deposits are substantial.

I guess what this is indicating that the barrels although accurate are rough.FYI beerroger
Hey Mho, That is the kind of information "Totally Missing" from the Gun Rag articles. It only comes from actually using one and most of the stuff I read is just a rewording of the Firearm Manufacturer's Marketing hype. Darn shame Roger isn't writing for one of the Rags.

If he was, and if they included actual first hand observations like that, then they would once again be worth my purchasing them. If I couldn't get Roger to send me a FREE one Big Grin.

I just doubt we will ever see the day where Totally Objective Reports get past the Editors that the Gun Rags hire.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The paint numbers are satin black #4241,the silver white is excel marble18078,the clear was krylon make it last.The finish definately gives it a better grip than before!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
ACSTEELE: Yes those triggers will fit. The Stevens is the pre-accutrigger Savage 10 or 110 (depending on if its long or short action) with a round receiver like the Accutrigger, rather than the flat top rear like the old Savage.

**STAY ALERT! The world is running out of lerts; we can't afford to lose anymore!**

Posts: 223 | Location: New England | Registered: 03 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
What are you guys paying in the "real" world for these rifles? Bass pro had a special on them right before christmas at $199.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkinheaver:
What are you guys paying in the "real" world for these rifles? Bass pro had a special on them right before christmas at $199.

How many did you buy? Frownerroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkinheaver:

Yep, but the only calibers included in the Bass Pro Sale were .270 & .30-06. I was looking for a .223, and ended up getting one at Sportsmans Warehouse for $259.99. Even if there would have been a Bass Pro Shop near by I wasn't interested in either a .270 or .30-06 at this time.

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
I paid 369 canadian plus tax,wholesale sports shows them about 30 dollars cheaper but they never have any in stock that is the caliber I wanted.Plus I bought from p&d ent in edmonton,a family owned company and real nice people with good service,sooner pay more any day for that!!!!

one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I would have bought one in 30-06 but I walked into walmart to buy a pair of gloves and they had a stainless remington 700 BDL in 30-06 on clearance for $300.

Walk softly and carry a big bore!

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Here they are 269 at sportsmans warehouse.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!