Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .260ai & 1-8 twist
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
fredj338:
I did try the 139 Lapua because it had a little better B.C. than the 142 MK. It shot fine but I could not get it shoot anyway but jammed hard into the rifling (.015"). I tired everything in .003" increments from .015" into the rifling to .020" off the rifling. At .015" into to the rifling it would shoot in the low .3's to the mid .5's consistently. But the bolt would close with quite a bit of resistance which I didn't like, to my way of thinking that is just putting undo wear on the lugs. I think too much of my rifles to do that. So I went back to the 142MK and have not been sorry. That bullet in my 260 just shoots very well at .003" off the lands and that puts no undo wear on the lugs. I just prefer a bullet that will shoot off the lands. Maybe your rifle will shoot with them not jammed so hard into the lands. H4350 was the best powder in Rem. brass with a CCI BR-2 primer.

There is a bullet that is showing some real promise that I have played with for the past two weekends. That is the JLK 140 gr. It has a B.C. of .630 and looks like it going to shoot consistently (sub .5MOA @ 100 yrads) just touching the rifling. I am going to tweak the bullet depth a little more next weekend if the rain ever quits again. I hope to make a 1000 yard match in Tennesse next month to see how it works at long range. I learned long ago that just because a load is shooting good at 100 yards, that don't mean it will work well at long range. Again H4350 was the best powder, with H4831 SC a very close second. If you have any questions I will try to help.

RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I have been working up a varmint load for my .260ai & have found that the 1-8 twist does very well w/ Sierra's 85gr HP. Using 44.5gr VV150/fed210M/RP.260 brass I get groups just under 3/8" @ 3400fps+. My PacNor 27" bbl. is thoated for the 142grSMK, so this is a happy developement.

RL15 & Varget are real close, staying under 1/2" w/ sim. vel.

Now if I can just get that magic load for the 123gr Lapua?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote